Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

changing my jazz pick guard need help chosing!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by UrbanAssault415, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Tortoise

80 vote(s)
    56.7%
  2. Parchment

6 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. White Pearl

10 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Black Pearl

12 vote(s)
    8.5%
  5. Black

20 vote(s)
    14.2%
  6. none

10 vote(s)
    7.1%
  7. other (tell me in post)

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. i have a brand new fender standard jazz bass, it a sunburst finish, and it has a factory white pickguard as im sure u all know. to me it doesnt go well with the bass ive made a poll and im interested in hearing your opinions on what i should change it to.

p.s. if you have a pic of a jazz with a sunburst w/ a changed pickguard plz post it will help the disision making prosses

thx in advanced

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Black pearl, white pearl, and tort would all look awesome. I voted tort just because it's the classic look, but if you didn't want to go classic, I'd reccomend black pearl.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Tortoise for the classic vintage jazz look, white pearl for a classy look.

4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

gotta go with THIS!!!
    [​IMG]
    sorry if that random giant record is blocking the view of the bass.

5. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I voted black pearl cause IMO it would look cool and I've never seen it on a burst before!

6. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
  7. Jazzin'

ewww, i can just imagine that, thats such an od combination, yellowy wood, redish wood, block, and blue.

8. lull&smooth

lull&smooth

Jun 21, 2004
    right on man black is awesome on sunburst

9. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    black/white/black

10. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    ...IMHO a tort guard is the only one that will actually INCREASE the value of the instrument. People will pay more for a bass with a tort and sunburst combo versus a white and suburst combo. It's the classic look that everybody knows and digs.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Tort first, black second, gold anodized aluminum third, white fourth. Those are the only colors that look good with a 'burst, IMHO.

12. first of all thx for the votes and replys, second dont even bother voting for none. i took my pickguard off the to see what it would look like naked but i found some complications. there is a quater size hole to the right of the neck pickup and then there is a chanel for the wiring for thr neck pickup that is exposed. this kind of upsets me alittle cuz i was thing about having the Jaco look till i get a new guard. :crying:

13. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    i voted tortise...it matches the best...black is ok...but it doesnt fit with the yellow and red wood grain that u can see thru and it blends too much with the outer edge (this is all imo)

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like it. The white ply under the black ply shows through since the edge is slightly sloped, so it provides distinction between the p/g and the edge. I have a sunburst Essex p bass with a black pickguard. Looks nice.

15. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    I'd go with a black pickguard.

I'm trying to decide if I want to get a new pickguard on my black jazz bass. For now I'll stick with white, it goes together well.

16. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    yeah id go with black. My next Jazz style bass is going to be a sunburst with a black PG. I just have to decide on a neck.

17. Jazzin'

would a tutoise pickguard look good on my midnightwine jazz bass??, im thinking of changing it to turtoise or that flakey white kind.

18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I've never seen a tort guard on a jazz of that colour, but a buddy of mine has a Jazz with that colour of body. To be honest, I think that'd either look absolutely hideous, or really cool. I'd have to see it, but it sounds like it could be awesome. The "flakey white kind" is called white pearloid, and looks great on that colour of body. Hell, it looks great on everything.

19. Jazzin'

yup, thanx, i actually tried using paint(the programon windows) to move a turtoise pickguard onto a picture of my bass. it didnt look too bad, but theres wasnt very much contrast. i think its like the worst possible color(midnight wine) to have a turtoise on. i guess ill stick with the white pearloid one and get that. it costs like 30$ rite?