Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing my old pickups... My first time.. any advice??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by antar8x, Aug 18, 2005.

1. HI... Is the first time I want to "pimp" my bass.. so I´m buying Seymoure-Duncan Quarter-pound Pbass for my Ibanez GSR-100...
    I wonder where can I get good info about how to do it my self. Also I want to know what do you think about this pickups...
    :confused:
    Thanx

2. scottz0369

scottz0369

Mar 1, 2005
    Oahu, Hawaii
    check out the Seymour Duncan website or the guitarelectronics.com site for wiring information--there are clear wiring diagrams on these sites. You may need to goof around with pickup height--run a search either on this site or on google.com for "bass pickup height setup" for tons of info. Good luck with your project and let us know how it turns out!

Scott

3. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I just finished putting Bart's in my squier precision 5. The one thing that I read on talkbass was to have at least a 45 watt solder gun. I only have a 30 watt and my solders joints did not look as clean as the factory.

My kids are always making me watch "Pimp my Ride" I love your "Pimp my Bass" Next time my son asks me what I am doing to my bass....I will reply with "pimp my bass"

4. Best thing you could do is take a picture of your control cavity with a digital camera before you take anything apart.

5. A lot of guys spend more time fiddling with hardware, when they should be practicing their bass lessons. This is a Trap...

:D

If this is a desired learning experience, first do the research here. Read EVERY SINGLE POST from luknfur about his pickup adventures. Read and Understand. There is knowledge here, so it is pointless to reinvent the wheel.

As pointed out above, a 3mb digital image of your control cavity is a very good idea. Also draw a paper schematic of your wiring. If this is your first time, YOU WILL NEED IT. A good tech always does his homework in advance, not standing in front of what used to be a bass... and wondering how the f*ck did he ever get into this mess.

6. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    With the info on the web, there is no reason to reinvent the wheel. I have been doing some mods for a learning experience. But most of the learning goes from reading other people's experiences.

I am know researching bridges and their effects. Looking to do a string thru bridge but having problems finding articles on positioning of the bridge. I will eventually find the info and run into a lot of other stuff on the way.

"you are in need of adult supervision"....my wife

7. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    a little soldering advice...40+ watts is good heat for melting the solder on the back of the pots since there is more mass to heat. The trick is to heat it quickly enough to liquify it, connect wire/leads/ pot surface and remove heat so as to not destroy components and or insulation. Get one of those iron holders that look like an egg beater. It's indespensible for holding the iron out of harms way while preparing your work. It's real easy to melt/burn cords, painted wood and the like. Practice some joints with scrap wire.
    Another tidbit, to have a dual heat iron, add a rocker switch in line between the plug and iron with a diode across the switch. Full power one way and half power the other.

8. If you're as stupid as me (scary thought), there's a chance you might pinch one of the leads if you don't get them tucked away under the pu properly when screwing the pu back on. I did that and had to do the soldering all over...

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'd like to give this a go myself, and a search doesn't turn up much info. Any other thoughts or suggestions? I plan to put Dimarzio's in my new P deluxe. It has a P/J setup with with 4 controls. vol/pan/stacked bass & treble/mid.

The fender website doesn't have a diagram for the newer MIM P deluxe but I downloaded the American P info which I believe is the same.

Anyone feel putting this into simple steps?