changing my strings...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jimbo, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    it's time to change my strings. they're ratty, old and weaking. i have one problem, i don't have the slightest idea how to change them. can anyone tell me how to do this? thanx for not laughing at my ignorance.

2. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Hi BB,
    If your bass was set up properly in the first place, the best thing to do is study exactly how your bass is strung right now. You will put new strings on in the opposite manner that you remove them. Loosen a string by unwinding it at the tuner. Hold on to the end as it releases, so as not to let it fly around and scratch your bass. Some people clip off the bent up end, especially if your bridge has a hole to feed through. If your bridge has a slotted end, it will come right out. If you don't clip it, unbend the turns and carefully feed the string out the end of the bridge. I cover the end of the bass with a post it note to keep the string or ball end from scratching the bass at the far end of the bridge. Now feed the new string through the bridge, and hold it taught past the corresponding tuning post. I trim the string to about 3-4 inches past the post. This will give you enough string to wind at least 2 turns. Now feed the end of the string down into the hole at the top of the post and carefully begin to wind the tuner to tighten. Look at the other posts to see if you are doing it the same as the others were done. Be sure that your winds are going toward the headstock, and not towards the top of the post. Tighten and tune, of course checking that you are in the nut properly. There are techniques to bend the string at the saddle for a better set, and using some graphite at the nut, but this is a basic string change.