1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Changing my Yamaha bb614 pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Samipegazo, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Samipegazo

Samipegazo

Feb 11, 2016
    miami
    Hi everyone, my question is the following. I own a yamaha bb614 bass which is a PJ basically. even though i consider the sound to be great i still want to improve it and now i find myself with a dilemma. the pickups that i'm considering are Seymour Duncan spb-3, bartolini 8cbp and fender's original p-bass. the pickup i wanna change is the precision one but the place where the pickups go seems to big kind of bigger than the pickup i wanna buy. i printed seymour duncan's diagram and, while the magnets themselves are the same size, the pickup as a whole is smaller than the one i already use. so the question is, will it fit either way? or is it that my bass cannot get its pickups changed?

2. They are actually really good pickups, what is bad is the preamp. Before shelling out tons on money on pickups, just try to connect your pickups passive VVT. I think you'll be blown away.

Dave Neal likes this.
  3. Samipegazo

Samipegazo

Feb 11, 2016
    miami
    that was my first thought actually but i don't know which 3band eq to choose :/ i know that i have to buy one for passive pickups but that's as far as i go. also i don't know much of it so is it going to remove the knobs that i currently have? i have 5 knobs as of right now. pickup "selector" volume, treble, mids, and bass while all the preamps that i find only have 4. if you could help me finding one that'd be great. also kinda lost on the VVT part you said because I don't know what you mean or how to do that lol

4. Coreythebassman

Coreythebassman Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2010
    This. If anything, you should probably look into a new preamp ie Aguilar OBP-3 or Darkglass

5. There was two Yamaha models made the BB614 and the BB414. If I recall, they both have the same pickups but one has an added preamp (yours) and one has the pickup connected passive. All the reviews said at the time that the BB414 was much better sounding. Since you don't seem very familiar with eletronic issues, I recommend that you take your bass to a tech and ask him to "ditch the preamp and connect the bass Volume Volume Tone" (you can leave the extra knobs unconnected). It'll cost you around 50-60 bucks for labor and pots.

6. Samipegazo

Samipegazo

Feb 11, 2016
    miami
    I´m going to save up and buy an aguilar obp-3tk and get a better bridge. Dimarzio also has some some good looking preamps. Thanks for the replies btw

7. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    If you get the OBP3PPK, you can have a push-pull preamp bypass switch, so you can run the pickups passive when you choose. Best of both worlds.

Dave Neal likes this.
  8. Dave Neal

Dave Neal

Aug 22, 2015
    The Yamaha Pup's are great.. you will find that the pot's on the pre amp may not be up to the task.. try upgrading them. Be aware that they are soldered on the print so do not use a too hot soldering gun. You can also wire the 614 more like the BB1100's which has an active passive on /off a 3way toggle and a passive tone when in passive mode.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  9. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    The preamp blows and makes what are good sounding pickups, sound like crap

10. Dave Neal

Dave Neal

Aug 22, 2015
    I have two 614's and a 415 that is undergoing major mods. I have no issues with my 614's they are great guitars. When the 614's eq is in detente it is in passive mode so I can only conclude that it is an issue with the pots. If you cant zero in on the detentes .. try an electrical spray cleaner. I have had this issue and pot spray did the job I can get any sound out of my Yammies and have been a Yamaha player from almost day one. I also have a 78 bb1000 that eats fenders for breakfast. I love Yamaha's.