1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Changing neck 35 to 34"?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Hi,
    I have a KSD Proto J bass that needs a new neck.I was not so terribly happy with the 35"scale and I really like the way my Atelier Z feels which has a 34" with a wide string spacing.The neck of the Z is 3" wide at the heel.
    I'm figuring if I need a new neck anyway, now would be the time to go to 34".
    Are there any problems I should be aware of in doing this.
    It seems pretty straightforward.If I get a neck that has a wider heel I just rout it out to fit the new neck and sort of copy what's going on on my Atelier Z bass as far as locating the bridge.They are both Jazz Bass type of 5 string basses.Can't be that difficult?
    I am looking for a 4+1 Maple neck 70s style with pearl block inlays.
    I checked with Warmoth but they only have it with black inlays.
    Who else makes something like that?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You'll definitely have to re-position the bridge, which will "move" the pickups a bit closer to the bridge. Also there's the thickness of the new neck versus the neck pocket, you may need to shave or shim. The shape of the pocket may not exactly match the shape of the neck heel, so you may have some gaps. The truss rod adjustment point is relevant, if your KSD was made with adjustment at the headstock and the new neck adjusts at the heel for example.