1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

changing necks, often?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jake_tim, Apr 23, 2006.

1. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    Ive been thinking of buying a fretless neck for my Peavey Jazz bass. One with tuners already installed.

But, is it safe to change the necks back and fourth. because i love the fretted tone that me peavey gives me as well. And i dont really have the money to invest in a midrange fretless bass, ive already modded my peavey to the way I like.

What would be an intellegent way to do this. wouldnt it harm the wood over time?

thanks

-Jake

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have a Carvin B5 with a fretless and a fretted neck. I change them as needed, but that isn't often, maybe once a year. I haven't had any problems.

If you are planning on changing them frequently the screw holes may become worn. The best thing to do is have a good repair person install threaded inserts in the neck, for use with bolts instead of the screws that come on it. Then you have bolts going into a nut instead of screws going in and out of the wood all the time. If you have the skills to do it yourself go ahead, but if not find a good luthier or guitar repair tech.

3. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    nothing to do with this thread, but i'm loving those tbirds :)

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Pat Wilkins,offers as an option on his Basses an extra fingerboard that slides very firmly over the fretless or fretted fingetboard and if you were to look at the fingerboard you would have no clue that a fretted FB or vis versa is covering up anything.

Here's a link to his site but the duel FB option is not on the site.

http://www.wilkinsguitars.com/guitars.html

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I do think that switching necks altogether on a bass, very often, would mean annoying alignment and trussrod problems every single time you switch.

6. If you play both fretted and fretless bass, I think you'll still end up better off having one of each.

You'll spend a lot less time mucking about with setup, strings, etc... and more time playing. If you think about it... every time you change necks you will have to take the strings off, and after a while the windings are going to come loose from the core, and tone will suffer immensely.

Because of the way fretless is set up, you may want different string gauges for fretted and fretless. Also you may well want different bridge saddle heights to get the right amount of mwah, so you may end up repeatedly changing the saddle heights every time you change necks.

You may also end up wanting different electronics anyway... the tone you want for fretless will probably be different to the tone you want for fretted.

It will be healthier for your neck(s). String tension on, string tension off can't be a good thing for a neck.

The cost of a neck is really not that much less than another bass... it will probably end up costing you less at the end of the day anyway.

Just thinking out loud here.

7. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    thanx for the replies, i sopose ill just buy a fretless bass instead.

-Jake

8. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

I was thinking the same thing.

9. you could just buy a fretless neck for now and then get another body and electronics later for the fretted neck?