Changing Necks

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Slaine01, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Just bought a Fender Active 5 Bass but HATE the small machine heads!.
    Can I put a Deluxe 5 string neck on, which has the 4+1 machine heads - The big chunky Real Fender looking ones?
  2. Provided the new neck fits the pocket on the body well [read: nice and snug] and the mounting holes line up (or you're willing to drill new ones or glue, plug, and redrill the old ones), you should have no problems swapping them out. Be careful to consider, though, where your truss rod adjusts. If its at the head, you'll be fine, but if its at the heel (which I suspect it is, being a fender-style neck), make sure there's enough space to get to the adjusting nut lest you be forced to unstring and unscrew the neck in order to adjust your truss.
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The two basses are quite different. The deluxe has a 22 fret neck. Your's has a 20. (Or is it 21?)

The deluxe neck does not have a cantilevered fingerboard. The neck is actually longer. So, even if the pockets would work, you would never be able to intonate the bass without actually moving the bridge.

I don't know how much you'd have to move it. Maybe the old holes would show. Maybe not.