1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Changing new string to Flatwound No. 52 , Need for suggestion.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by note117, Jun 20, 2014.

1. note117

note117

Jun 20, 2014
    I will changing new string to Flatwound No. 52 of La Bella , Need for suggestion.

My old string is No.45. The neck of my bass is not so strong , I have to release string one time per month approximately for solution the higher of string.

Now I will changing to No.52. Do I need to meet luthier for setting up truss rod (or bridge) ?

Thank you.

2. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    if you can't setup your bass, take it to the luthier. LaBella Jamersons are really think and tight, so you'll need to file the nut (think about the A string, is a 95... wich is more often used as an E string... it needs to fit in a 80/85 slot...), tighten the truss rod and set intonation (with bigger strings the saddles usually need to be moved back "bridge side").

if you can't do it by yourself, take it to the luthier.

I don't understand the "weak neck" and what you do to the strings...

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Sounds like you need a new neck!

4. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    Since you are going for the "Jamerson" Labella set, it would be a good idea to have a qualified technician/luthier setup and install strings. Make sure you tell him/her your concerns.