1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Changing out the guts in my Warwick Thumb BO4!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by panic_striken, Aug 15, 2007.

1. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    First off I love the feel and play of a Warwick!!! Nothing makes a bass growl like the mixture of exotic tonewoods they put together. But alas I hate the stock MEC's with a passion!!! So, here we go:

1.HAS-Sound JB3 5-Way Rotary J Harness
    This pre-wired J. Bass harness includes one master volume control, a rotary 5-way pickup selector switch, Bass Midrange/Tone Control, and an output jack. Includes your choice of tone capacitor. Solid shaft pots. Rotary switch offers the following pickup selections:
    Position 1- Neck
    Position 2- Bridge + Neck in Series
    Position 3- Bridge + Neck in Parallel
    Position 4- Bridge + Neck in Series, Out of Phase
    Position 5- Bridge
    [​IMG]

2.[​IMG]
    JC4 HE/M2
    splitcoil humbucker

A high end splitcoil humbucking JB™ fourstring pickup with the narrow sensing area of a classic single coil, the JC4 HE/M2 gives you a full range single coil tone with none of the headaches of previous designs.

Our advanced coil design employs carbon steel blades, special ferrite magnets and full shielding. Its full bass and tight lowmids blend fine with very articulate midrange into sparkling harmonic overtones. Just the right amount of output works great in full passive operation and interacts meticiously with today´s internal or external preamps and/or EQs. JC4 HE/M2 pickups are available in matched pairs ore as individual units.

2. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    I forgot the topping on the cake:smug:

DR Low-Riders Heavy .045 .065 .085 .105

3. tbone409

tbone409

Feb 17, 2007
    kenosha, wi
    sounds like it will rock!!!
    delano's will really give it a pump on that warwick growl.
    good luck!

4. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I'm with you on the MEC stuff. I think there is some room for improvement there. I swapped out the pre-amp in my Thumb for an Aguilar OBP3 a while back and was pretty satisfied with the change. I had not thought about changing out the pickups too.

I would be interested in hearing some before and after sound clips once you have done the swap. :bassist:

5. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    HAS-Sound makes great stuff, I definitely want to hear some sound clips.

6. I've been wanting really bad a warwick with nodrstrand+aguilar setup... The ones I have played with MEC pickups had nothing really special. The design and feel of Warwick basses is what got me into them (eventhough I've never owned one), I also think they need to improve on their electronics division, they should start their own brand of pickups and preamps, they have the cash to do it for shure!

7. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    Funny thing is that the MEC's are made "in house" by Warwick:smug: Guess they put to much thought into guitar building and not enough into the electronic side of it.....

8. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Frankly, I like the sound of the MECs.

One of my 'wicks came with EMGs. It didn't sound like a 'wick...so I called Dana B. Goode's and ordered a stock refit w/MECs and the 3-band (the previous owner had given me the OEM "upgrade" originals; Basslines, but I wanted the legit MEC sound back).

I've also since bought a bolt-on w/the 2-band, and I gotta say I like it just as much, though it's a bit different.

I'm all for upgrading and experimentation, but my take on Warwick is this; if you're playing one it's because you wanted "that" sound - the Warwick sound...which to me is very unique; MECs.

YMMV

9. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    i wish you luck w/that harness choice: while has has great stuff, the lack of being able to blend the pups can be a tonal/dynamic limiting issue. that said, i love rotary switches :D

10. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    Got everything in and done. All I can say is WOW!!! The Delanos are awesome. They have a very MM sound to them. Its all the grrrrowl and bite that a MM has without the clankity clank sound. With the Has-Sound harness I can make my sound as thick or thin, with the series/parallel/phase rotary, or roll the treble off or even scoop my mids.........and all done nice and passive. Look Mom no batteries:smug: