1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Changing out the neck on my bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassgiant15, Jun 13, 2007.

1. bassgiant15

bassgiant15 Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses

Dec 19, 2005
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I am thinking of attempting to change the neck on my jazz bass with another neck that i have. The problem is i have never done this before. If anyone has some input on how to go about changing the neck i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

2. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    what kind of neck are you changing to?

3. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    If a neck of the same specifications (measurements in the neck pocket) then take off the strings, remove the screws from the neck plate, take the neck off, put the new neck on, put neckplate back on, screws back on. :p

4. bassgiant15

Dec 19, 2005
  5. Are there screw holes drilled on the new neck? If not, use the holes in neck pocket as a template and be sure to measure the depth of the holes in the old neck so you don't drill too deeply into the new neck. It looks like the holes are drilled for the tuners so that won't be an issue.

6. bassgiant15

Dec 19, 2005
    Thanks lonote.
    The neck doesn't have holes predrilled. So basically all i need to do is remove the old neck, measure the holes in the original neck, and then uses those measurements on the new neck as to how deep to drill. I assume that i need to use the neck plate as to where to drill the holes too.....besides that all i should have to do is attach the new neck and it should be good to go.

Does this sound correct?

7. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    It's pretty easy to get the neck misaligned though.

There's a pretty good article from Stewart MacDonald that describes the process and is illustrated with photographs. I can email you the article if you give me your email address (PM me with the info). If you follow the steps in the article carefully, you're pretty well guaranteed of a successful fitting.

8. is this the article?

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-4005/Bolt-On_Necks.html

9. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021