1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Changing output transformer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eshalon, Mar 22, 2013.

1. eshalon

eshalon

Sep 4, 2008
    New Zealand
    I am wondering if it is possible to change the output transformer on a 120v amp to make it run on 240v? I am seeking information on whether this will work and where to get the transformer from. Also whether this will alter the tone of the amp? If this can be done will it be better then using a step down transformer?

2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Output transformer will make not odds to the voltage it runs on. Its the power transformer that deals with that stuff. Changing power transformer will not change the tone of the amp done properly. Many can be switched internally though, meaning mod rather than full change.

3. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Some amps may have the ability to be rewired for 240 volts, what amp are you planning on doing this on/to

4. eshalon

eshalon

Sep 4, 2008
    New Zealand
    I know some amps can be internally changed however I don't believe any mesa heads can be? Particularly the bass 400/400+?

5. The 400+ can. I have the PS schematic.

6. eshalon

eshalon

Sep 4, 2008
    New Zealand
    Thanks B-string that's good to know. Do you know about the 400 non plus?

7. Sorry I don't know for sure about the 400 (non plus), I only have 400+ schematics stored.

8. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    I have a Bass 400 that's been modified to 220V (says 120V on the back.)
    I got it this way, maybe some of the tech people here can see if it's done with the original trafo?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. eshalon

eshalon

Sep 4, 2008
    New Zealand
    Thanks for the pics. Hopefully someone can identify it

10. eshalon

eshalon

Sep 4, 2008
    New Zealand
    A google search tells me it is a Woodward - Schumacher and will fit D180 400 and 400+. It is also multi tap to select voltage. Just what I wanted to hear!!