Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing p-pickup to musicman.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by phunky345, Feb 24, 2002.

1. phunky345

phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    Hi. I was wondering if it's possible to cut the pickup hole thingy on a p-bass into the shape of a musicman double-coil? I haven't looked at measurements of the pickup size, but it seems like it would be really cool. FYI, my bass is made of scraps off of ebay, so I'm not concerned with keeping it all-original, since it's impossible!
    Thanks,
    Kyle

2. I did just that on my Dearmond Jetstar special- it originally had one P p/up close to the bridge.

a Musicman p/up is slightly smaller in width than the 2 halves of a p/up put together, so you'll have to fit a new pickguard to cover routing gaps (and one of the P p/up mounting ear routs will be left unused by the new MM p/up).

I cut a piece of black vinyl and glued it on as a sort of pickguard.

3. The split-P location is not the sweet spot for the MM pickup, which is located closer to the bridge.

4. Yea, I'd have to echo that, it won't be in the same locale, and thus the tone will be slightly different.

5. it'll probably end up sounding like one of those Schecter Baron basses, or a GR bass, both of which have Musicman style p/ups installed in the P p/up spot.