Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing pickups in a Spector ReBop

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Polyphonic_Bass, Jan 12, 2003.

1. At the moment i have a Spector ReBop 4 with the stock EMG-Hz pickups and the Aguilar OBP-1 preamp. I am thinking about changing the EMG-Hz to an active EMG and i was thinking either the DC 35 or the CS 35s. Are there any problems in doing this that i should be aware of or is there another set of pickups i should consider using.
    btw I like to play slap and rock.

Thanks

2. This is my bass if you are interested

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've tried a couple of pickups in that casting & I liked the EMG 35J best. They're more "open" and aggressive. They have that definite J Bass Tiger-like Growl that I love.

The DC's, to me sound compressed. I have a set of 40DC in a Warmoth Gecko bass & I haven't played the bass in a while. When I have some extra cash I'm gonna buy a set of 40J's for it.

I had another Warmoth Gecko that had a set of Seymour Duncan Basslines in the same casing as the EMG 40's. They sounded really nice. Pretty similar to the EMG DC but not as compressed. I has it paired with an Aguilar OBP-1 also.

Bartolini also makes pickup's in that casting. My friend installed a set that were J's in the casting paired with an Aguilar OBP-1 in a Dean Edge 6 & the bass totally KICKED MAJOR BOOTIE. One of the best sounding Bartolini basses I've ever played in my life!!!!!

So many choices. :)