Changing pickups in a Spector ReBop

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Polyphonic_Bass, Jan 12, 2003.

1. At the moment i have a Spector ReBop 4 with the stock EMG-Hz pickups and the Aguilar OBP-1 preamp. I am thinking about changing the EMG-Hz to an active EMG and i was thinking either the DC 35 or the CS 35s. Are there any problems in doing this that i should be aware of or is there another set of pickups i should consider using.
    btw I like to play slap and rock.

2. This is my bass if you are interested
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've tried a couple of pickups in that casting & I liked the EMG 35J best. They're more "open" and aggressive. They have that definite J Bass Tiger-like Growl that I love.

The DC's, to me sound compressed. I have a set of 40DC in a Warmoth Gecko bass & I haven't played the bass in a while. When I have some extra cash I'm gonna buy a set of 40J's for it.

I had another Warmoth Gecko that had a set of Seymour Duncan Basslines in the same casing as the EMG 40's. They sounded really nice. Pretty similar to the EMG DC but not as compressed. I has it paired with an Aguilar OBP-1 also.

Bartolini also makes pickup's in that casting. My friend installed a set that were J's in the casting paired with an Aguilar OBP-1 in a Dean Edge 6 & the bass totally KICKED MAJOR BOOTIE. One of the best sounding Bartolini basses I've ever played in my life!!!!!

So many choices. :)