1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Changing pickups, string spacing problem..

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thomas Kievit, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Hello TB'ers!

I have a small question from a good friend of mine : He recently bought a Ibanez BTB 676M (the newest BTB version, the one with the Maple fretboard) and he want's to change the pickups and put some Nordstrand DC's 6 in it. Now the Nordstrand website says it's made for 6 string basses that have 19 mm spacing at the bridge, his BTB has 16.5 mm. Does this mean the pickups won't fit or that the polepieces aren't ''in-line'' with the strings?

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    probably both.

3. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Actually the standard DC 6 is made for 18mm string spacing. However, since the bass is 16.5mm the magnets won't quite line up under the strings. In terms of the pickup housing size your friend will need to measure the stock pickup and compare the dimensions to the DC 6, which is 4.675" x 1.27"

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Might want to look at Bartolini or SGD pickups. They use rails so string spacing is not an issue.

5. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Well the BTB already has stock Barto's on it and he doesn't like the sound of it.. Maybe some EMG's would do the job?

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    EMGs would require routing the bass.

I do make pickups in the BC6 (P4) shells, but I've been out of stock on those shells for a while now.

Bartolini does make other different sounding pickups. One thing I have learned with Ibanez basses is they install the Barts so that the neck pickup is at the bridge, and the bridge pickup at the neck. They do this to get a thick neck tone and bright bridge tone. So if you bridge pickup sounds too thin, and the neck is muddy, try swapping them.

7. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Well he thinks that the pickups sound too dull. He wants more deep in it and more punch.

8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I'm thinking he thinks it's the pickups. New strings will fix the dull problem, and Barts are plenty deep. Has be adjusted the bass' EQ?

How long has he been playing bass?

9. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Hmm.. yes, maybe different strings can help it a little bit. As far as the bass EQ : He tried some different settings with it, seemed to work for most points.

He plays bass for about 5 years now. Last 3 years he played fretted and fretless 7 string basses, but he wants to go back to fretted 6 string basses. He owned a BTB 5 stringer about 2 years ago. He sold it and saved up more more money for a Santander 7 string bass (I'm not familiar with that brand so I can't say a lot about it :p)

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yeah but are they US Barts or the Korean cheapos (MK1's, MK2's)? The US Barts are a whole different beast! Maybe these. http://www.bestbassgear.com/bartolini-g6-pickups.htm

If you have to have Nordies, I would send the bass to them and have them do a custom set to fit.

11. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Nope, they have the non-USA Barto's. I believe the MK1's are in it.. But maybe it's a good idea to send the bass to Nordstrand. Hopefully it'll work out for him! :hyper:

12. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    If they are Bart MK1's then he doesn't really have Barts. They have nothing in common with real Barts.

13. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Ah okay. Well I'll let you all know if he will change the pickups and by which brand ;) Thanks a billion everyone for your kind words! :hyper:

14. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    FWIW Nordstrand is already making a 6 string version of the Big Singles for the Ibanez SR Premium basses. I'm not sure if they are the exact same size as the Barts but at least the string spacing would be correct.

http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-SR1206E

15. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Yep, string spacing is the same. But he wants Nordstrand DC's in his bass. I told him about the suggestions you all mentioned and he will take a look first at the REAL USA-Barto's :p

16. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Nordstrand can make a custom spacing DC. Contact your dealer and ask.

Too many option to be able to list all, always ask the source, it is just a email/call away!

M

17. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Great! I'll PM him ASAP!! :hyper: