changing pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thetaurus, Feb 4, 2004.

1. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i just got some bassline quarter pounders for my mia jazz. i was going to have them professionally installed, but i don't want to wait or pay that much to have them put in, when i could possibly do it myself. i've never soldered anything, but my roomate can do that, or show me how. what do you think? also, should i shield the pickup/control cavity? let me know. thanks.
  2. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Go for it. Soldering pickup leads are really pretty easy and straightforward. There are schematics on Seymour Duncan's website that are pretty clear. Basically just put the new wires where the old ones were. ;)

Sheilding your control cavity may be worth it. My Rickenbacker bass is unshielded and only really picks up extra noise (aside from the usual single coil hum) when it's aimed right at a computer monitor or something. But... my hybrid Fender guitar on the other hand... it could use some shielding! (Or at the very least, shielded wire from the pickups to the controls.) One of these days I'll get around to that.
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I would say go to town. Short of stabbing yourself in the eye with the soldering iron, the worst that could happen is that you need to re-solder everything.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Like everyone else says, can't hurt to try. May burn yourself but that goes away after a week or so... might look crappy but it's hidden and as long as theres connectivity, looks don't matter. Go for it!
  5. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    well here's another question:

should i desolder/solder at the pickup or the pot?

also...the wiring diagram that came with the pickups is slightly different than how my bass is wired right now. it's an mia jazz that i bought new, and have never done any modifications to. should i just connect everything how it currently is?
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Only woory about the the pickup wires.

-Unsoilder the wires inside the control plate.
    -The black wires od the Duncans go to where ever the grounds are from the Fender p/u's, usually on the back of the pot.
    -The yellow & white from the duncan goes to each volume pot post.
    -If you can, have a damp sponge close & wipe the tip of the iron before each use to keep it clean.
    -Don't leave the iron in th pickup wire too long because you might damage the pickup.
  7. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    there's not a yellow wire from the duncans. there are only two wires coming from the pickups. 1 black, and 1 white. so i'm assuming i should just connect them according the the 1 black and 1 white coming from the fender pickups?