Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Discrepancy, Mar 24, 2004.

1. I know this has probably been asked before, but how easy is it to install new pickups. I have an old p-bass style bass that i want to restore so i can use it at shows again. I don't know a little about electronics. And are there any special tools i need.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You need a soldering iron (_not_ a soldering gun!), solder, and the appropriate gripping/holding tools.

Unsolder the old pickup and solder the new one in. A p-bass setup is the easiest to do.

Good luck. :D

3. I'm not trying to be insulting...

But if you don't know that you need a soldering iron to install pickups, you probably shouldn't be jumping right into it. You may want to go to a local store or something and watch someone do it first, as well as get a few pointers on soldering/unsoldering... You can do a lot of damage with a 25w pencil!!1 (not that I know from experience) :D

4. i figured i would need a soldering iron, but i was wondering if there were any other tools.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Those are basicaly the only tools i needed to put new pickups in my bass. Didnt realy take much...took about 30 minutes to do a P/J combo.

6. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Soldering iron

rosin flux

wire cutters/strippers

screwdriver

cotton swabs and alcohol (for clean-up)

small, needle nose pliers

7. and try not to inhale any smoke or fumes
    dont eat the solder
    make sure you wash your hands when you're done cause you'll be working with lead

haha.. yes definately dont eat it.

8. If you're going to use flux, make sure you clean off all excess flux and residue left behind, as flux is EXTREMELY corrosive.

And remember the 3 rules of soldering:
    1. Flux is your friends.
    2. Clean, Clean, Clean.
    3. Less is more.