1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Changing Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Big K, May 16, 2004.

1. Big K

Big K

Mar 3, 2004
    Summerville SC
    I have been playing EB on and off for about 15 years. My parents bought me a fender squirer precision bass in 1984 with a Fender Sidekick 50W amp. I have been playing the original bass with my cousin who plays guitar and actually gigged with it about 2 years ago. It did okay but lacked on power a bit even with a 300W head with 2x10 and 1x15 combo. My question is would upgrading the pickups to better quality precision pickups be a good idea? I am into the double bass now and am buying an upright but would also like to make my old squirer slab sound a little better with more power. Is it worth changing the pickups or should I just wait and eventually just get a new one???(when I have the dough)

2. I replaced the pickups in my P-bass, it rocked my world!!
    Ok, not that much, but made such a different sound I was gobsmacked. Get a set of seymour duncans, dimarzios, or emg. do a search for these and you will get loads of answers.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Personally I think the foundation of a quality tone is in the pups - given the same bass. Trick is finding the right pups.