Changing Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Big K, May 16, 2004.

1. Big K

Big K

Mar 3, 2004
    Summerville SC
    I have been playing EB on and off for about 15 years. My parents bought me a fender squirer precision bass in 1984 with a Fender Sidekick 50W amp. I have been playing the original bass with my cousin who plays guitar and actually gigged with it about 2 years ago. It did okay but lacked on power a bit even with a 300W head with 2x10 and 1x15 combo. My question is would upgrading the pickups to better quality precision pickups be a good idea? I am into the double bass now and am buying an upright but would also like to make my old squirer slab sound a little better with more power. Is it worth changing the pickups or should I just wait and eventually just get a new one???(when I have the dough)
  2. I replaced the pickups in my P-bass, it rocked my world!!
    Ok, not that much, but made such a different sound I was gobsmacked. Get a set of seymour duncans, dimarzios, or emg. do a search for these and you will get loads of answers.
  3. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Personally I think the foundation of a quality tone is in the pups - given the same bass. Trick is finding the right pups.