Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by neka, Jan 21, 2006.

1. neka

neka

Jan 21, 2006
    i people ! i´ve got an old samick bass, i like it very much because of the small body he has, but the pick ups are a little week i think, they are samick to, so i´m thinking to change them booth, i love the sound of musicman stingray, but the size of my pickups are thin (J Style), can anyone help me about the pickups i should buy? emg, dimarzio, bartolini, diferent pickups, equal pickups, who goes to the brige who doesn´t. A big thanks from Portugal.

2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Hi Neka,

Welcome to Talkbass. Standard J bass pickups come in 2 sizes, the bridge pickup is a bit longer than the neck. If your are going to change out your stock pickups without doing any routing, measure the size of your current pickups first.

Then you need to determine whether you want single coil (traditional jazz pickups) or humbucking. There are lots of threads here about the difference. The main advantage of humbuckers is no single coil hum when one pickup is backed off.

If you want your bass to sound like a stingray you will need to rout the bass for a stingray pickup at the stingray sweetspot. Stingrays are active so to complete the transistion you will also need to add a preamp and battery, major work involved.

Good luck.