Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

changing pots with passive?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jake_tim, Oct 10, 2005.

1. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    i am thinkign about changing the pickups in one of my basses, (sx p bass that i am hotrodding) and i am going to get the seymour duncan sp- 3 basslines, do you think it will make a difference in tone or clarity if i change to higher quality pots. an what pots do you recomend? certain brand? maybe 500k, i was pretty sure that you needed to change pots when going to active electronics, but this is going to be passive so i am not sure.

any help will be appreciated, sorry for the long post

-Jake

2. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    so i guess no one knows about electronics here? hmm :help:

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yes, people know about electronics here.

Isn't the spb-3 the quarter pounder? If so, that's a passive pickup and so you shouldn't have to change anything

Could you upgrade to higher quality pots? Sure. But at the sx price level, I'm not sure how much appreciable difference it will make. If you're still at the beginner phaes, practice will make much more difference to your sound than new pickups or pots.

4. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    yeh quater poundders, my bad, im not really much of a beginner anymore, i have been playing for over a year, and have three basses, i just thought it woudl be fun to hotrod one, sayign that i havent done that before.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you can certainly replace the pots if you want, no harm done if you're a decent solderer. But I really don't think it'll make any noticable difference to your sound.