1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Changing Righty to Lefty, potentially harful?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by avid, Apr 7, 2006.

1. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    I know in double basses that taking an instrument that has been strung righty and stringing it lefty could be potentially harmful to the instrument. I realize there are vastly different issues between a DB and an EB but I am wondering about a well made electric bass that has been strung righty for ten years being changed to lefty. Could the different forces applied to the neck by switching string order create issues with the bass? TIA

David

2. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    ...are you serious?

3. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    I am looking at a very expensive bass which is actually a lefty but strung righty. It could be far older than ten years as I am just guessing at this point. I am wondering if switching the strings could cause the neck to warp or put strange forces on the neck joint. The other day I noticed that EB strings put something like 200# of torque on a neck. As I stated I know restringing a DB is not recommended because of the set the wood has taken; that in addition to different internal bracing. I would rather query experts than to purchase the instrument and find out the hard way.

David

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Shouldn't be a problem at all. It's different for DB because the Bass Bar is under the E String and the Sound Post is under the G string - They're not really reversible. But a solid-body electric should be no problem. Since the machine you are talking about was originally a lefty, you won't have the hassle of having the control knobs sitting under your arm. You will need a new nut though.

5. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    Actually, I are a lefty. The bass apparently belonged to one of our most confused bass species. The guys who play with the neck pointing right but with the E string on the bottom. I realize they are in good company as their main representative is Jimmy Haslip, a killer bassist.

David

6. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Instead of re-stringing this bass, you could just stand on your head whilie playing.

El Pelusa likes this.
  7. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    Actually, since I practice yoga this is not out of the question. I guess the guitar tech could strap on my bass. Wow..., it still wouldn't solve my problem. Maybe if I played it behind my back, hmmmm?

Playing bass while doing a headstand would be up there with some of Jimi's and Steve Ray's showboating. I will give that further consideration. Thanks!

David

8. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    Outstanding idea. wait, was that a pun ? :meh: