Changing Scale Length, Need Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by basslax, Nov 1, 2000.

1. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I just got a really inexpensive vox jbass from a friend, which sounds ok, but i would like to have a fretless to knock around(and the frets are almost flat from use anyway, also lots of buzz). i was thinking about defretting it but the neck is short scale and i think the fretboard it plastic so it wouldnt turn out very well. considering its short scale(32") would i be able to get a replacment fretless neck? If a bass is short scale, is the bass designed to be so or can i just change the neck(assuming the screws line up)? This may sound dumb, but i have no idea.

2. Here's how it would work in your case:

A standard 34" scale is just that - 34" between nut and bridge. Measure from the nut to the 12th fret and that is 17". If your new neck fits in the pocket AND allows a bridge to be mounted where the saddles fall 17" away from the 12th fret, then you can increase the scale of the bass.
  3. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    If you find a 34" scale fretless neck that will fit the Vox neck pocket, it can be used without moving the bridge but it will probably result in an unusual "in-between" scale length. Not that that's bad, just unusual. A fretless neck doesn't really care about the scale. Since you play fretless more or less "by ear" you shouldn't either. However, if the new neck has any fretlines or side markers they may not register with any notes (since the scale may be different) so you'd have to ignore them.