1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Changing scale length?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by TheDude007, Aug 8, 2012.

1. TheDude007

TheDude007

May 18, 2010
    Kansas City
    So this may be a dumb question to most of you, and I'm sorry if it is. I did a search and tried to find any info on it and I couldn't. A little background, I've done a couple of "builds," as in I bought a blank body, blank neck, all the hardware and electronics and put it all together. Including measuring where the bridge goes for 34" scale length and all of that, as the body was not pre-drilled for the bridge.

So on to my question. I've been looking into my next "build" and have found a few bodies for sale that I like that are made for 30" scale. Specifically the Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar SS bodies. My question is, if I got a normal scale neck and put it on this body, would the overall scale be off? Does that make sense? Would I need to move the bridge I guess is really my question. Thanks for the help ahead of time everyone.

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Probably. It depends on where the neck meets the body. If your 34" scale neck measures 23 13/16" (from nut to heel), for instance, then you'll need to place the bridge on the body such that its G string saddle lands 10 3/16" away from the heel of the neck pocket. If you have enough real estate on the "short scale" body for that, then you're good.