Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing Speakers in a Combo Amp?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by camerondye, Mar 28, 2001.

1. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    I have a Nemesis (Eden) 2-10 combo amp which I love. I took my combo amp around looking for another cabinet to stack with the combo and when I plugged in a Peavey 210 cab to it, the peavey smoked the nemesis speaker sound. Nemesis had to conserve money to make the combo cheaper, and this is where I'm guessing they did it. The nemesis speaker sounds very sterile when you put it up next to another speaker. The Peavey is the one I remember the most because it sounded very bright and louder, it really changed my outlook on Peavey Bass enclosures, but.... My question...would it be possible to replace the speakers inside the Nemesis combo with different speakers, almost any other speaker probably would be better. The reason I would go to this much trouble is, I love the combo...I just found out that the speakers could be a lot better suited for me if I changed them. I would rather change them because I like carrying around my whole amp in one hand, but if I have to I will carry around an extension cab...but I really don't want to.
    cameron

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    are you sure that the peavey speaker cab sounded better all by itself?

It sounds to me like you pluged that into the speaker out jack and you then had your internal speakers and the external speakers going at the same time.

You might change the speakers and discover that the quality that you are looking for isn't there.

If you liked the sound you got with that other cab added... I think your answer is to keep the combo as it is, try it out with various cabs, then get the cab that makes it sound the best.

good luck!

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I agree for what its worth and check the impedance of each speaker. I think that if the resistance is different then one speaker set would appear to 'smoke' the other.

Summary-dont replace Eden speakers without being sure that they are at fault.

4. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    Eden speakers are the biggest possibility in my mind, but I guess I should call Eden and see if that would work. They're speakers are $150 bucks a piece though, ouch...I'm hoping that is list and can buy them from a dealer for the normal 2/3's off and get it down to $100 a piece. I don't know if the nemesis would power the David series speakers though. I also can't find a David series 2-10 in my town to try with the nemesis, I would imagine it would power it just as well as the Peavey speaker. The Peavey 2-10 was so much louder than the interior cab and had a lot more full range tone. I also tried it with a Peavey 4-10, it powered it fine also with even more low end. When I call Eden, I will post what they say and share it with all of you.
    cam

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

CS, the speakers in the Nemesis are not Edens. Edens are cast frame, the ones in the Nemesis line are stamped steel frames. They weight about 1/3 as much as an Eden 10 does.

6. upgrading the speakers will probably improve the sound of the combo..BUT..there are other things to consider when making comaprisons of the sound of speaker cabs. The material that a cabinet is constructed of, the style of construction, what type & whether or not there is any dampening materiel used. Speaker ohmage will also be a factor as well as if the PV cab had a tweeter. Using a better speaker will also contribute to the weight of the Nemesis, and that was a factor in the design as was price.

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Embellisher-thanks, my bad, sorry.

8. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    I called Matt up at Eden and he told me that people have done the speaker replacement upgradce to the David series speakers with good results. He said don't get the xlt speakers, they will be too much for the cab, but the speakers that are in the 210-T work fine in it. They weigh 6 lbs more apiece. He said the sound probably won't change as dramatically as one might think, but definitely clearer lows. I can't imagine it not sounding better than the nemesis speakers. I am calling to get quote's on the speakers from dealers to try to get the speakers for about $100 a piece. Also, the impedance, screw holes and connectors all match up to the nemesis speakers.
    cam