Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

changing string gaugues...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by facet squared, Aug 8, 2001.

1. I am using a .100 gauge set right now on my Fender Precision. I want to go back to a .105 set. do I need to get anything, especially the neck, adjusted?

it seems like I was told I need to do so, but I can't remember if I do or not.

any help is appreciated, the more the better so long as it is right. and the quicker the better too...if I have to take my bass in to the shop to get stuff done to it I want to do it like tomorrow when I actuallyhave the time :)

thanks in advance

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Just change the strings.
    And when you notice changes, and only then, do some adjustments (action, truss-rod).

But you should adjust intonation (~length of string) in any case.

3. Alright, i'm gonna have a go and seeing as this hasn't had too much response in here, I'll shift it to strings..

if this thread explodes i apologise.. although you wouldn't see the apology... hmmm

:p

Merls

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The action on your bass will be a little higher and you'll need to reset the intonation. If you have the action really riding low and like it like that, you'll need a little tweakage in the neck.

5. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    This might be too late, but whatever. You may need a truss rod adjust, and you may not. The gauge change that you have mentioned is not that big of a difference. Precision Basses are a tough animal and a slight gauge change is unlikely to affect it much, if at all. Whoever said that the intonation might need to be checked is right.
    But as far as the truss rod adjustment goes - on a Fender? Piece of cake. Learn how to do it yourself. Its actually more work to pump gas than to "tweek" the neck on a Fender.

6. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    Arizona
    Umm, I switched guages on my Squire recently, and it didn't affect the intonation at all. Your results may vary...