1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Changing string guages

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SOA_bassist, May 14, 2006.

1. SOA_bassist

SOA_bassist Guest

May 10, 2006
    my dad wants to buy me some DR black beauties. My current strings are GHS bass boomers heavy guage ( 50 - 70 - 95 - 115 ) but the DR strings are 45 - 105 ( i think D - 65 and A - 85 )

what adjustments would i need to make, if any at all.

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    You'll probably need to adjust the truss rod for the (presumably) lighter tension. Check the intonation to see if you need to move the bridge saddles forward or back - which will probably be necessary. And you may want to drop down the height of the bridge saddles slightly to compensate for the lighter gauge string.

Ideally, the string grooves in the bridge saddles should fit your gauge of string precisely. If you find there's any slop in the grooves, and you're committed to staying with the new gauge, then you might also consider replacing the saddles - making sure to get new grooves cut to match the new guage. If you want an ideal set-up, that is...

MM

3. SOA_bassist

SOA_bassist Guest

May 10, 2006
    alright, thanks. i remember having to mess with the saddles when i went from standard to heavy, but i only did that after i read an article on adjusting intonation, didnt know it would have to be done when switching from guage to guage. well thanks for the help ill make sure i do all of that when i get them.

=-p =-)