1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Changing Strings-Changing Setup

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Dad Bass, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Dad Bass

Dad Bass

Jun 22, 2005
    New Jersey, USA
    Is it reccomended that I change my setuo with new strings....if they are a different type or size?

What would I have to have changed or adjusted?

I have a Christopher 200 ply and am currently using Domiants but I'm seeking more volume. I play all pizz. My brackground id EB and I use the heaviest strings I can find. The thought is Big strings = big sound.

Thanks in advance, Dad Bass

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    What are your string heights? This is measured from the underside of the string to the top of the fingerboard, at the end of the board where you pizz.

More volume is not neccessarily related to bigger strings. Technique will get you more volume. Have you studied upright with anyone locally? Using electric bass pizz is not going to produce a very full tone.

3. Dad Bass

Dad Bass

Jun 22, 2005
    New Jersey, USA
    0Nick, first off youre tough but I llike that in a friend.

The bottom of the strings are about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch off the ebony. I dthat consideres too low? I have an adjustable bridge.

4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That sounds a little high... hard to say without seeing the bass and observing how you play. Are you studying with someone? Who suggested changing your setup?

5. How long have you been playing? Getting a good sound on DB takes time and work, strings and set up will help but not as much as time and effort.