1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Changing strings - Cutting/shortening strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Chris Paget, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Chris Paget

Chris Paget

Sep 1, 2008
    I just put on a new set of lower-tension strings (Silver Slaps) last night. My main goal is to really get the best sound and slap response from these- basically utilizing the low tension to the fullest.

I noticed that the end of each string is wrapped around the tuning head so many times that there is actually little room remaining on each head. My question is this: Is it OK, or even recommended, to cut strings to shorten them as one might do with an electric bass? Does the number of times a string is wrapped affect the actual tension or playability of the string (more times wrapped = higher tension)?

2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I don't think the number of wraps affects tension. I don't cut strings (any more); I pull enough string through the hole to get 3-4 turns on the tuner shaft and tuck in the excess.

3. Chris Paget

Chris Paget

Sep 1, 2008
    So would there be any disadvantages to wrapping around as many times as it takes to tighten the string (say 6 to 8 times.. I think that's a good average for the strings I put on last night)?

I've also heard it isn't great for strings to rub against each other in the headstock.. how much truth is there to this? It seems like that could be a disadvantage if there are a lot of wrappings taking up a lot of room in the headstock.

4. George700DL

George700DL

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    You don't want to pinch the string against the side of the box, but if there is room on the peg, I don't see the problem of many turns.

Since I use gut strings that I got overseas in person, I didn't cut anything - I wrapped everything on the peg. If these particular strings break (unlikely), they can be spliced. So I wanted to have all the spare material.

George

5. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    +1 on what Steve said. The number of wraps doesn't alter the tension at all.

I like to see about 3-4 wraps on each capstan in the pegbox. That's enough to give good grip but not so much as to cause tuning instability issues or to wedge up and crack the pegbox cheeks.

You don't have to cut them if you don't want to, just pull the excess through and tuck the loose ends in.

6. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    I know you meant to say pegbox. I just know it.
    There's no need for 6-8 wraps. 4 are plenty. I cut the excess.

7. Dream on.

8. Chris Paget

Chris Paget

Sep 1, 2008
    Pegbox! Pegbox!! :bag:

9. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Okay, here you go:

20090325062143_644.

:D

10. Yay!
    Five STARS for saying "Pegbox!"
    Five MORE stars for not being offended by TBDB's two most grouchy grouches. Dono and yers truly.
    You da man. :hyper:

11. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Hey-I'm grouchy, too-I just save it for the perfect occasion.....

12. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Any reason NOT to cut them?

13. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    If they might be used on a bass with a longer string length at some point. If you want to sell them.

14. You gotta mild case of OCD?
    Or.............
    Do you dust out your pegbox?
    Do you Amor-All your crutch tip?
    Do your machine handles all have to be lined up, making that be more important than being in tune?
    Do the screw notches in your tuning gears have to be perfectly horizontal?
    Do you use Q-Tips on your scroll volutes?
    Do you dust the insides of the heart in your bridge with a Q-Tip soaked in lemon oil?

If you answer yes to any of these questions, you're in deep trouble here. :atoz:

15. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    LOL :D

16. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    What does it mean if I polish my endpin a lot? :D

17. Means you like your rod to slide in nice 'n easy. ;)

18. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    That's got to be a good thing, right? ;)

19. George700DL

George700DL

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    The bridge is where I occasionally rosin up my bow - plenty of rosin caked up on the bridge. Thinking about enlarging that heart, so that I can get the whole bow in there...