Changing strings for the first time

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by guillermo, Dec 17, 2004.

1. guillermo

Oct 1, 2004

I just went to the store and got myself a set of Thomastik Superflexibles (medium). I'll be puting them on my bass soon.
    Since this is the first time I change string on a Double Bass,
    I.E. I got my 3 months ago, can somebody tell me what's the correct way to do

- One string at at time ?
    - the G is the last one ?
    - post should not fall / move ?
    - bridge should not move ?
    - other...

Thanks a lot
    Guillermo Gonzalez
  2. guillermo

Oct 1, 2004
    ERRATA, it shoul read:

"I.E. I got first Double Bass 3 months ago"

instead of:

"I.E. I got my 3 months ago"

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Take them down and replace them one at a time. There is much less risk of the post falling this way, and the bridge is less likely to move.

Either way, it's always a good idea to mark the position of your bridge with a pencil (even though you can often see the impression in the finish where is was)

I think it is a good idea to attach a pencil to some sort of extension, go through the ffs and mark the location of your post as well as create an alignment mark on the post and inside back of your bass. It really saved my bacon on my old Engelhardt.

Also, as you tune each new string up to pitch, give it a few modest tugs as you go to aid in keeping tension where the string coils on the peg. Otherwise, you'll deal with not only stretching but slipping as well.

When each string is off, use a pencil to color in the groove where the string crosses the bridge. (I ususally do the nut as well) It aids in lubricating the string and makes the bridge less likely to tip. Even so, as the strings stretch out and you retune them over the next couple of weeks, make sure you keep an eye on the bridge. If it gets tilted, it can collapse or even break. Plus the bridge sitting on edge also stresses the top in an unhealthy way.

All sorts of bad things can happen.

Get a winder. Otherwise, it'll take you forever to change the strings.
  4. guillermo

Oct 1, 2004
    Thanks a lot

Guillermo Gonzalez
  5. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    The easiest way to change strings while preventing the bridge or soundpost from moving/falling is to remove the D, A and E, leaving the G at full tension. Install the new E and bring up to full tension. Then remove and replace the G, then the A and lastly the D.
  6. All good advice above, and should go without saying that you should lay the bass on it's back when you get most of the pressure off the bridge. Laying the bass on a cusioned table with the head of the bass hanging off to get at the machines if you use the cordless drill/cup attachment. A heavy book or some such laying on the treble side of the top will help hold the soundpost in.
    Good luck!
  7. guillermo

Oct 1, 2004
    The string change went fine, they sound great (Thomastick Superflexibles that is). No buzzing also.

Thanks for the instructions