Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing strings, newb question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SirPoonga, Jan 18, 2005.

1. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I bought a bass used. It came with old strings and I am finally ready to change them. However, just looking at it I am not sure how. Any pictorials on how to change the strings. I've seen 6 string electric guitar tutorials on the net, but nothing about bass. I have a Squire P-Bass if that makes a difference.

What confused me is the sring goes around the peg, under itself, and into the peg. What's holding it in the peg?

2. Check this...

Normally you just thread the string through the bridge, insert the end into the peg, and wind it up, making sure every winding goes beneath the former.

3. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I guess I willjust take a string off and see. I just wanted to know before I did something.

4. As I see it, there can be two reasons to why the string goes under itself before it goes into the peg. Either it's just a sloppy installation of the strings, or it's an atempt to secure the string from slipping from the peg. If you let the strings have 3 full windings they allmost certainly should be secured, without the string going under it self. Just make sure the windings pres the string down so the angle over the nut is the sharpest it can be.

Good luck.

5. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Interesting. I willhave to verify when I get home after work. I do believe they string only goes around 1.5 times and then into the peg. Looking at it, that's what is confusing me. i don;t know how the string is being held in place.

6. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Do I need to unscrew the screw on the back side of the tuning peg? It looks like the string goes around then in the peg and attaches to something.

7. No, normally you shouldn't touch the screw on the back. Unless you've got some kind of special pegs I don't know of.