1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Changing Strings Often

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by AMUNC, Jan 22, 2012.

1. AMUNC

AMUNC

Jan 22, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    I am I very avid working musician, playing both jazz and classical. I have helicore hybrids on my bass now, but I am just considering getting multiple sets of strings and changing them out often.

The work doesn't bother me, I've changed countless sets of strings. My only concern if this is bad for the bass or strings in some way. Any thoughts?

2. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Depends on the strings. Some tolerate better than others. For the most part steel core strings seem to tolerate it best but it really depends.

The best luck I've had is with Spirocores and Evah Pirazzis

The worst: Velvet Animas and Obligatos

3. AMUNC

AMUNC

Jan 22, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Alright, thank you. I already have passiones as orchestral strings, so i was thinking either a straight jazz string or something like evah solo's to use at low tension and to have the resonance of solo strings, because i do alot of cello like pieces. Does anyone have thoughts on that?

4. I would like to add, that if the strings have different tension it may take some time for the bass top (up to a week or so) to accomodate to the changed pressure. So you might get different results for the same string depending on the time you have it on the bass.

As for durability: Make sure that the kink of the used string is always exactly on top of the bridge or the string may degrade (and possibly break) much sooner than expected. Specially for synthetic, silk cores and gut. In case you want to play solid core steel (I doubt that) this may happen here too, but later. Just a guess, but it makes sense to me.

Maybe that's the reason why some double bassists have more than one instrument.

5. AMUNC

AMUNC

Jan 22, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    I don't mean to change the subject, I'm just slightly branching off, because I hate starting new threads. I'm starting to really consider a new set for jazz, does anyone have opinions on tuned down solo strings (maybe EP's?) vs. an industry standard like Spiro's?

6. Hi Adam,

String choice is both a personal sound/ tension/ money quest and a question of finding strings that work with YOUR bass.

I don't use spiros on my basses- they don't sound good to me and feel too stiff.
    But on a couple of my friends basses they feel nice and sound great.

That's why we have drawers full of strings.

I will add that Velvet Garbos are a tough string that can stand repeated putting on and off.