Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

changing strings on an Acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by iDavid, Mar 13, 2006.

1. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    I just got a Dean Performer and so far I'm pretty damn impressed...

BUT,

what do I use to pull the pins out on the bridge to change the strings. All the "tools" I use for this purpose for my acoustic guitar are WAY to small....

it didn't come with any special tool,. BTW

thanks

2. I tend to use the same small set of cutters/nippers that I use to cut strings. They look something like this--I use the sharp edge to fit under the "ball" of the bridge pins...

Mike

3. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    ouch!

that doesn't cut the pins?

4. :confused: Uh, no, not really. I'm just sliding the edges under the ball to lever the pins out, and it's not really very sharp. I s'pose you could use pliers, but that would mark up the pins a lot.

Mike

5. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    I may wrap tape around the the plier's tips....

wish there was a dedicated tool for the job...

6. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    what type of strings do you use, BTW

7. For what it's worth, I've been using the same cutters for years to pull the pins on my regular acoustic guitars, after gouging up too many pins with needlenose pliers...

For my bass, I use GHS Bronze strings. That's what it originally shipped with, though I definately prefer the tone after they've gotten a bit older and less bright.

Mike

8. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    If you have a Dunlop stringwinder there is a bridge pin puller on it. Several other models have the sale feature. It is often in the end of the winder handle. You might have to make the slot a little bigger for the bass bridge pins. Worth a try, no?

9. Alex E

Alex E

Mar 2, 2006
    Hello IDavid
    You might try loosening two strings to where they are very woobly, sticking your hand thru the soundhole, and pushing up the pin from below. In most cases, the pin will pop up without too much effort and you don't run the risk of damaging/scratching the pin or having the pliers slip off and onto your basses finish. That unfortunate occurance would be enough to cause a grown man to cry.

Happy Playing:bassist:

10. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    tip: file the bottom of the pin to an angle sloping on the side with the string groove. That way the ball will neatly slide in the corner between the top and the pin. Otherwise the ball end might stick on the bottom of the pin, and later pop loose.

I also found that for some strings the groove in the pin needs to be widened.

11. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005

works great

THANKS!