Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

changing strings - quick question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dadodetres, Jun 22, 2005.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    just change strings in my new fortress one warwick....

seems like there is a LOT more presure on the strrings now....

i like it the way it was..... should i adjust the truss rod? clock or counter clock wise?

thancks!

2. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    yes, i dont know the brand of those that came with the bass.... but they are nos necesary the same...

i put earnie ball regular slinky.....

if i have now more tension means that they are a heavier gauge, right? so how can i set up the bass for having less tension on the strings?

thancks!

3. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

so why did the pther strings had less tension?

nop, how do i do this?

what does "stiff" means? english is not my language.... so if i now adjsut the truss rod ill now have the same presure as the previews strings?

pleas help me with this, i dont want to harm my bass!

i checked and the strings that used to be in the bass are a lighter gauge

thancks a lot!

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

If you haven't done much upkeep to your bass, I'd put off doing any truss rod adjustment.

If your strings are up to proper pitch (tuned properly) and you're finding that your strings are still 'loose', then my first guess is that you have a different guage of strings on your bass now. They're probably not as 'thick' as your old strings. If this is the case, then your fix is easy. Just get another set that's about the same guage as the old ones.

Otherwise, you can have the neck adjusted. The trussrod is a metal rod in the neck of your bass, that adusts the curvature of the neck to counter the pull of strings. Since you've got lighter strings, they truss rod doesn't have as much pressure to pull against, and the strings are now closer to the neck and will buzz.

***a note on truss rod adjustment***
    As said before, a little goes a long way. a quarter of a turn at a time, and since the wood takes time to move, give it a day then check again. If you feel like you're forcing it rod, or that it's so loose that there's no pressure... don't do it.

How to do it? Go to the top of the set up forum, and check the stickies. They've got links that will walk you through how to check your neck relief (the curve of the neck) and how to make the adjustment.

Ok, since I'm feeling extra nice, here's the link to Hambone's thread about setup, and the links for adjustments:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125382

5. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    i tightened a little the truss rod, waited and now all the string buzz! so im adjsuting it back now..... the tension still is to much....

so truss row and string heigh dont make the tension vary ANYTHING???

so THIS strings in THIS bass will ALWAYS have THIS tension?

maybe i should go back to lighter strings.....

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Tension depends on the strings and the pitch they are tuned to.
    Adjusting the truss rod for less tenison is a very bad idea (it will only affet neck relief, not tension!) and tells me you know nothing about it. You should at least read the manual or some online setup basics, or you'll ruin your bass :rollno:

7. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    im am learning. i know something but not too much, but isnt this forum with the purpose to learn more?

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah, but you ran off and did tweak the trussrod, which is quite an act of unresponsibility. Remember, a wrong move with the trussrod can ruin the neck. And since W doesnt sell replacement necks (because of the serial numbers), getting a new neck made would be quite costly.

As for learning, there's the manual and the FAQs, also.

9. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    the rod seems to move freely, i have to do no presure at all to use the wrench for adjusting it...... is this bad?

10. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    yes i know, i took the precautin of moving only 1/4 turn, and im aware of it..... also i am respopnsable for it, im not going to blame you is i break my neck.

11. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

yes, i what i though , i changing them again now....

now i want to set the truss rod bak as it was... cause now it buzzes..... not a treble-buzz but more like a buzz made with mids (am i clear?) .

the truss rod also seems and to ofer me any resistence, like i can tweak it without ANY troble..... was also like this before adjusting it.....

12. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    hey! 1st of all: thancks a lot for all the help you are giving me! and for answering all the answers although i ask them again again.....

so im changing the strings to a lighter gauge again and puttinmghte rod back to were ir was.....

about the rod giving me no resistence at all i did a search and found this on other post:

Originally Posted by xyllion
    My guess (and this is only a guess) is that in the middle section there is a little room in how the rod is connected where it shifts from pushing on one side to pushing on the other side. Regardless, if it works, then all is well.

I got an email response from Warwick on the truss rod. the truss rod does have a position where it is not pulling or pushing on the neck and that is where mine was new, tuned to pitch and almost perfectly straight. Thus the need for a 2 way design.

13. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    it seems that the truss rod doesnt offer me any resistence, as i can tweak it freely, i dont know what range has, cause i didnt want to turn it more than 1/4 at a time...
    as i checked in other post someone sayd:

"I got an email response from Warwick on the truss rod. the truss rod does have a position where it is not pulling or pushing on the neck and that is where mine was new, tuned to pitch and almost perfectly straight. Thus the need for a 2 way design."

so maybe now it is in this range were i tweak it and it doesnt do anythin, and starts acting when it starts offering me resistance.....

the thing that consufe me more is that yesterday i tweak it to tight it a little without going out of this range, and it DID change things....

also.... the buzz seems to come not from the strings but from the neck :confused:

14. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

it did change it yesterday...... i set it out todayand checked and did nothing..... but they rod should make a resistance, right? so maybe it is in this range were it doesnt do anything until i reach the point in were it begins to act

15. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    its very clear that the problem is the stirngs. you have a different gauge string with a different tension. the truss rod is not the issue man.

16. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    ok ok ok.

i am installing right now a smaller gauge, ill install them and see tommorrow how isa everything going, and ill posta again....

17. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    ok, its time to report!

yersterday i changed stings, nos the tension i WAY FAR more confortable, so the problem is gone.,....

but it seems to still buzz a little....

i checked relif and it a little less than a credit card... so strings are not put against the neck, but there is very little space.....

so, should i turn a little the truss rod counter clockwise? 1/4 right?

18. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    ok, forum is up again...

relif and rod still the same as yesterday.... maybe is in that range were it doiesnt adjust nor tight.... and i should turn until it offere me some resistence....

19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Instead of turning it until you reach resistance, why don't you turn it in quarter turns until it effects the relief? (with time for the neck to move too).

20. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    yes, i did it 3 times now and nothing, relif stills the same, maybe it will satart acting when rod meets resistance