changing strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cheviot, Jan 9, 2001.

1. cheviot

Sep 2, 2000
    just a very general query about changing strings on me bass. how often should i do it? someone told me every few weeks!!?? seems to often but i don't know much.
    also what are good (and cheapish, i'm a student) strings to get?

sorry i know nothing, but i'm trying to learn
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    String changing has a very simple rule. You change strings when you think it's necessary. If they break, wind up or just start to sound goofy, it's time. I change strings about two or three times a year, and that's all I need.
    Some people change every other week, just because they prefer the sound of new strings. Whereas I only change when I'm supposed to do recording or when they simply are worn out.
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Oh, cheap strings... I know Carvin sells cheapish strings online... I've heard they suck, but then, they ARE cheap. Darco and Everly are cheap brands too.

If you won't ask, you won't learn. :)
  4. membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    D'Addario XLs are cheap and sound beautiful.
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    :eek: I'll be damned... I had a look at and... they ARE cheap in the US! Talk about a lot of tone for the money! My favourite strings! :)

They cost more than twice as much here... mumble mumble :mad:
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I buy all my strings through the internet from in the US and they are always at least half the price I would pay in England, even allowing for shipping and packing! :eek:
  7. i change strings about once a year. maybe if i had regular gigs i'd do it more often. but every two or three weeks is just ridiculous for a student, especially considering how much bass strings cost. what kind of music are you into? if you play punk, you probably want the brightness of new strings, whereas if you like reggae, it will actually be to your benefit to play with older strings.

p.s. i play punk, and i still don't need to change them often.