changing strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by massafagga, Sep 12, 2004.

1. massafagga

Sep 15, 2003
    hi, i just began playing double bass. i never changed strings, but now it's getting time. so i need some help:

1. i don't know if my bass is a 3/4 or 4/4. how can i find out? how do i measure it?
    2. i don't know which strings to use. i'm mostly playing pizzicato and i would appretiate some tips for a good allround string.
    3. i don't know how to change strings. Can you tell me some things i should know about it. do i have to adjust the bridge?

ok that's it. sorry for the silly questions. but i don't know who to ask, since i don't know any other double bass players in my area.

thanks a lot,
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    First advice: read the Newbies post at the top of the forum. It contains lots of links to previously discussed threads.
    Second advice: search the forum, as it contains threads about most of the things you're asking for.

1- It's better to discuss sizes in relation to the vibrating string lenght. You measure it between the bridge and top nut.
    100cm = 5/8
    105cm = 3/4
    107cm = 7/8
    110cm = 4/4
    Those numbers are not absolutes, but you get the idea.

2- Spirocores are the most common pizz strings, in regular or Weich (light) gauge. But there are many others. Searching the archives first is a very good idea.

3- Change them one at a time, and be sure the bridge keeps perpendicular to the bass top. An adjustable bridge is nice to allow height adjustments with the seasons. (summer and winter)

Hope this helps!
  3. massafagga

Sep 15, 2003
    thanks for the advice!