Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

changing strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by padresfan311, Nov 14, 2004.

1. padresfan311

padresfan311

Oct 8, 2004
    Mobile, AL
    ok so its about time to change the strings on my crappy squier (WAY overdue) and i was wondering what the process is...also what are some decent strings that arent too expensive? i dont want anything too expensive cuz im gonna get a new bass soon and i dont wanna waste a lot of money on just a practice bass.

thanks

2. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Your GHS Boomers or Ernie Balls will set you back about $17, and really bring out the zing in a P.

But $10 strings will probably be 'good enough,' assuming it is just a practice bass.

I used to change out one string at a time, to make sure the right string ended up in the right place, and on correctly. Great time to do a littel cleaning too, while the strings are coming off.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Bass player online archive (google search) has a good article on restringing - don't remember which section exactly but it will do you good to skim through the non-related articles for future reference cause there's a bunch of useful information there.

And I would definetly recommend cleaning the bass up before you restring cause the results are easier, quicker, and better then with the bass strung.

Another thing you can do is buy strings you really want and sell the bass with an old set of strings since the first thing most players will do is change the strings. I use TI flats that last forever and I never let a bass go with those strings on it. But all my basses are 34 scale with
    2 + 2 headstocks so they readily swap from one to another.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Moved to Strings, more suited for that forum, I think.