Changing Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Maidenrulz, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Hey everyone,
    I am a new bass player and have been playing for like 2 months and I hear that most people change their strings every 3 months so that time is coming up and I have no clue how to change them! I know you all think I am a f*c*i*g moron but I don't want to **** anything up. Also what type of strings are good to use, like i said I am new at this. Any responses welcome
  2. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    how often you change strings should really depend on how often you play, and especially how often you play out. i usually change my strings at least every 2 months.

on my 4 string, i like the blue steels. i try different brands, on occasion, but i always end up going back to the blue steels. i haven't had my 5 string for very long, but i am currently using dr's. i've tried a few different types, but i haven't gotten hooked on a particular set of strings yet, like i have for my 4 string. i've tried blue steels on them, but i didn't like the b string, so i've kept looking around. (i really like the dr's, but have only had them on for 2 weeks, so i haven't been sold on them yet, but i'm close.)

as for changing your strings, make sure you bend the string at least 45 degrees before you cut them. round cores have a habit of slipping (from what i've heard). i'm not sure if the hex cores have the same problem, but i would recommend the same for those. i measure about an index finger's worth of string past the peg (i have long, skinny fingers) or so, and cut there. stick the string in the peg and wrap. there's not much to it. also, i recommend wrapping them slowly, i'm not sure how everyone else does it, but that's how i personally do it. also, i choose the direction of the wind for the placement on the nut. i.e. pegs on the top side get wrapped the same direction, but opposite from the direction on the bottom side.

hope this isn't too confusing...
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Don't change your strings based on what others say or the calendar. Change them if they don't sound as lively as they used to and if you aren't getting as much output.

If you do it, go to . Click on the "Gear" link at the top of the page. Then scroll down and you'll see a link to an article titled, "The Right Way to Install Strings."

I use DR's. A lot of people like D'Addario around here, too. As for whether to get roundwounds, flatwounds, tapercores, and other breeds of strings, the TalkBass "Strings" forum should have a lot of info. on how the varieties sound. Also, that "Gear" link has a "Glossary" towards the top of the page and an article titled, "The Controversial World of String Design." has a large selection at decent prices and their service is outstanding.

If you read it and walk away knowing less than when you started, don't blame me. ;)
  4. IMO, changing your strings isn't a must every 3 months, especially if you're not recording or gigging all the time. i gig and record demo's, etc and i find that certain strings can get a dark type of vibe goin if you leave them on for a while. i use DR's on my stingray 5 and d'addario's on my smith 6.
  5. Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions I am going to wait a while cause I do not gig much so the strings sound good now thanks agan for the pointers.