1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

changing strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by stencilman, Sep 30, 2009.

1. stencilman

stencilman

Jul 24, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    im changing strings, but the winding at the top seems to be running out giving way to the metal part of the string. is this okay? ive never changed strings before so im unsure.

2. What type of string? In most cases it's okay, unless they are Velvets.

3. stencilman

stencilman

Jul 24, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    the winding at the top is shorter than my previous strings (heliocore orchestrals).

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    For some strings, that's disaster; for other strings it's no biggie. For example, wind the metal part of Dominants onto the tuning peg and you're inviting disaster. I'm fairly confident that the risk is higher with synthetic-core strings (e.g., Oblis, Doms, Evahs) than with others but it's also true that it goes on all the time with no ill effect.

More importantly, what is the string length (mensur) on your bass? My string length is 42" and I use the Evahs. Even with "mirror image" tuner placement, there's ample silk.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I wonder if Dominants would benefit from some other DIY wrapping on the string when the metal is going to hit the peg, or whether it is the construction of the string itself that causes them to break?

6. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    My apologies-- this was in error. I checked and with the Evahs, I do, in fact, have the metal part of strings wrapped around the tuning peg. There has been no problem.

7. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    My understanding is that what is underneath that silk is quite different from the rest of the string so that covering the metal part would not help. As I understand it, it's not the outside that gives way but the inner part when you wrap Doms past the silk.