Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

changing strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassist519, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Bassist519

Bassist519 Guest

Feb 6, 2003
    Albany,New York
    [​IMG]

does anyone know how to change strings on this kind of bass?

2. it is basically the exact opposite of taking them off........

when you snip the excess of the new strings make sure there is a good 3-4 inches after the tuner so that you'll have plenty of room to have it go around more than once, as well as be able to detune it.

make sure you put the ends of the strings under the tree of the headstock in the correct order..you know..EADG from low to high.

3. why does everyone tell people to cut the strings before you put them on? put them on first then trim the ends so you dont mess up.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Uhh, you cant, ... you put the end of the string in the little hole.. and then wind it. I think you are puttin your strings on wrong bud.

5. what?
    i put my strings on then theres the excess string sticking out and i cut it off and its on just like normal cutting your strings before hand is just a pain in the ass

6. CKYBassist

CKYBassist

Nov 28, 2002
    There shouldn't be any excess string sticking out because you should put the end of the string into the hole, so nothing should be sticking out. That's why you cut them before because you cant after you've wound the string.

7. ok were obviously talking about 2 different things cause i wind my strings around the thing and they stay there then i tune it and cut the extra string sticking out, i dont understand what the hell your talking about that you cant cut it after.

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It depends on how the tuning posts are set up on the bass in question. Many basses have a hole in the centre of these so that the string can be cut and the end neatly stowed away. As I recall, some basses don't have these, and certainly some bassists choose to ignore them.

Personally, I prefer to cut the strings to size first. I find it easier to do that than bringing them up to pitch with excess string sticking out and then trying to cut them neatly without the other strings getting in the way.

Regarding what length to cut them to, I find about a handspan past the tuning post works well for me - or just use the set you're taking off to establish the measurement. I also prefer to replace the strings one at a time (although still changing all the strings in one session) rather than taking the whole lot off before putting the new set on.

Wulf