1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Changing the band logo

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mikegug, Dec 27, 2011.

1. mikegug

mikegug

Oct 31, 2011
    Changing the band logo: I am against this. As a marketing major in school, I learned that continuity is always good. Don't make your customers hunt for you. Let them become familiar with your product. It's a comfort thing.

I want to feel comfortable parting with my money!

Classic examples: golden arches, VH, IBM, KISS, shoes with a swoosh, coffee with a naked lady in the logo, and the list goes on and on. Notice, I didn't have to give the full name for most, and you know what the product is!

Do you do change your logo? If so, why?

2. From a graphic designer's standpoint: changing from a bad logo to a good one is a smart move. Many companies don't get it right on the first try. But otherwise, if there is no reason to change, don't.

3. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I agree. Is the logo a good one? Something easily identifiable? If you have been going for a while with that logo and everyone agrees its a good design, no need to change it. My personally, I have changed my bands logo a few times but within the same concept.

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I got ours right the first time. Good thing because it's all over everything. The trailer, about 5000 cars around here, tattoos are coming soon.

5. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay

+1 Unless your band's logo is something as incredibly cool like say, the Grateful Dead or something like that, y'all could probably benefit from an updated logo.

Generally speaking, simpler is better when it comes to logo design. Many bands have incredibly complex designs. BIG mistake, IMO.

6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I like to update periodically, but keeping with the same theme. Gives you the chance to sell a second t shirt to the same people.

7. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Continuity is good when your band's logo is strongly associated with that rare level of brand recognition and positive brand equity. Thing is, I can't think of any bands with ties to my little town (including Modest Mouse, Yo La Tengo, Gwar, the Dave Matthews Band, etc) with logos in that league. I'd say that gives those of us with even lower brand recognition a fair bit of room to move.

Maybe your high school band is different, but I'd be surprised.;)

8. Staredge

Staredge

Aug 7, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    Naked lady????? Umm.....IIRC that's a Mermaid.

9. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    Those logos are decent, but their recognizability is tied up in the global popularity of that which they represent. In other words, had another logo been used by Nike before the brand exploded, that logo would be similarly recognizable because the products are so popular. At this point in their brand life, it would be damaging for those brands to change their symbol, but only because the symbols are now so strongly associated with the popular products. Had they changed (and many probably did) before they were popular, that damage wouldn't occur.

If your band is a huge sensation and changing the logo would cause confusion, don't change it. However if you're an average local band, changing your logo wouldn't carry the downside it would for the brands you listed.

So to answer the real issue of whether to change the logo and why;

Your marketing philosophy is partially correct: continuity is good, but continuity is not always good: Take New Coke for instance. If Coca-Cola had continued with New Coke, they probably would no longer exist. They had to drop what was a bad idea. You need to make sure you're starting with something worth continuing. If your logo is bad, you should drop it in spite of loss of continuity. I'm sure your marketing class also stresses quality along with continuity. So make sure your logo is good and if it is, don't change it. But change it if it's not. That's why you do it, and really the only reason. Unless you just want to, and that's okay too, since it really doesn't matter that much. Unless you're KISS. :p

10. Mermaid = Half naked lady making him half right.

11. I change it quite often the only thing that stays is the band photo and the image of the phoenix.The way we write the words PHOENIXBAND has changed fonts and designs more times then I can tell you with no ill effect on how many fans make it to our shows.

12. TBrett

TBrett

Nov 3, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    What do you like about your current logo? Do you believe it's effective for the kind of band you are? Has it had a lot of exposure in your market? Are you guys at a level where a lot of people recognize it? These are some of the questions to consider. If the band is still relatively new, changing or modifying the logo may actually help you - provided the new design is well done and effective.

13. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    OK, I'll say it:

Reading between the lines and guessing at the motivation, I would guess the OP designed the original logo and now one or more other band members are suggesting it should be changed to something they think will be better.

But maybe I'm wrong...

14. mikegug

mikegug

Oct 31, 2011
    Nope. You're wrong. :D Good guess though. (I would have thought the same...) I do in fact think we hit it right on the first try though. my facebook page has the current distressed "R" logo that I like at the top of the page. We've since added our name going up the left side of the R and it is very cool. GREAT feedback allover the place and t-shirts sales to boot.

I'm just a guy who likes the continuity idea to make it easy for people to identifiy us, and I think some of the band members will vote against me.

I'm OK with small incrimental changes over years, but we JUST got t-shirts and a kick drum cover to match. And the logo will make a KILLER CD cover solidifiying the identity.

15. mikegug

mikegug

Oct 31, 2011
    That's a depiction of a mermaid!!?? LOL! I think the last version had her lattes showing, right?

True, this is the time to change if needed. Less damage.

We are starting to garner some attention and will be playing good-sized festivals in 2012, etc... CD EP release to come by Spring 2012... it is a good product. I don't think people will be confused by it, but I don't want ANY hinderence to a purchase or positive association.

16. AccolaStudios

AccolaStudios

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    My opinion is that it's beneficial to have a simple logo. Why? Easy to remember, easy to draw, and easy to put anywhere. You want people to remember it so they remember you. You want it easily drawn so others spread your image. And you want it easily placeable to put on shirts and other merchandise.

However, it's beneficial to mix up the band's "theme". Colors, message, appearance, instruments, marketing, etc. Why? Because it spices things up for your audience, which will likely bring attraction to you (which in turn brings more money). Just my two cents.

17. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Pepsi sucks.

18. mikegug

mikegug

Oct 31, 2011
    But, what if one of the above bands had kept the logo continuity? Would that have been a positive? Maybe the booking agent for the Tonight Show would have recognized the logo and said, "Hmm. Yeah, book Yo La Tengo next month." Otherwise, he may have been looking at a sea of what he thought to be nameless newbie bands.

Eh, just thinking outloud...:)

Tatoos? You'd BETTER not change it! LOL!

19. mikegug

mikegug

Oct 31, 2011
    Agreed!

And just as a side to all.... my son just came in a told me we sold another shirt via the Facebook page... and we aren't even selling them there! Too funny!

PFFT! We are now!!!! You'll see my boys model them on Facebook. They're fishing them from the garage right now.