1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Changing the Bridge Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Biodome, May 3, 2010.

1. Biodome

Biodome Guest

Apr 16, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hello,

A quick question: would putting a MM-style pickup in the bridge position of a jazz bass sound more like a jazz or more like a MM? I realize that getting a Stingray tone is impossible without a Stingray, but to phrase my question differently:

I play rock music, and I find that a soloed bridge j-pickup is fairly unuseable (too honky, not enough bass) - I use it just to add character to the overall tone. If I put a MM-style pickup there, as far toward the neck as the routing will allow me without leaving any gaps, will the position result in a bigger honky tone, or something a more meaty?

Thanks in advance!

-BD

PS: this is an extension of my MFD mod question, I'm just checking out options since I'm definitely getting new pickups in June. :)

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Its gonna work better as a bridge pup to my ears. More the guitar humbucker bridge as opposed to guitar single coil bridge pup sound. Fuller, etc like that. Anyway, if you get a MM/humbucker bass pup with wiring options it could be wired to 2 or even 3 way switch for single coil (jazz) and humbucker options. If your gonna do that, I'd use further away from bridge coil for the single coil position. So its not quite as bassless as the closer to bridge coil would be. Alternately a jazz pup with better bass content might be worth concidering. Myself, I can get on with jazz neck pups, but not so much with bridge position ones. Dimarzio Jazz pup would be among the darker sounding ones imo.

3. Biodome

Biodome Guest

Apr 16, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Great, thanks! Any other input? How about putting a Nordstrand MM vs. an MFD in the bridge position?

4. Biodome

Biodome Guest

Apr 16, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    I can't see the photo for some reason! Basically like a Sandberg J/MM. The MM isn't in the "sweet spot," it's in the bridge position, and I'm wondering what that does to the tone. I'm also considering throwing an MFD or MM pickup right between the jazz pickups, maybe leaning towards the bridge a bit.

5. sorry 'bout the pic..................its a link to a pic on my myspace site.

the pic is of an MIM jazz w/a SDMM humbucker in the bridge position.