Changing the bridge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crazyphil, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Is it worth it to change the bridge on a Mexican P-Bass? Will it improve the tone?
  2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Badass II will give the bass more sustian and let the notes ring longer. this bridge is a drop in replacement also.
  3. I was thinking of the Gotoy (or whatever)'s a drop-in as well.
  4. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    My RB5 has a gotoh, great bridge.
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I enjoy my Gotoh 201. I did have to shim the neck to get the action as low as I like, however, if that means anything to you.
  6. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
  7. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Against the general opinion I would not recommend changing the bridge. I did and went back to the original one. What is wrong with the stock bridge? If you choose Gotoh 201 and like low action you'll probably need to shim the neck.
  8. It all depends on what you want to improve. Most of the time, an after market bridge is going to make the bass sustain longer. Is that what you are after? I think the stock bridge will let you adjust the fine tuning and string height just fine. Tone is a subjective thing.
  9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    True. The engineers at Fender believe that the stock bridges sound better. That is why they still put them on expensive MIA basses instead of an upgraded one. It is a subjective thing. I had a MIJ Jazz a few years ago, and it sounded thin and weak. I put a Badass II on it, and the sound improved considerably. It was a great sounding bass after that. Thinking I was on to something, I put one on a Yamaha bass I had that had a Fender type bridge on it, and it sounded worse. The body was made of basswood, and the Badass seemed to emphasize the wrong frequencies on it - giving it a very unpleasant honk. I put the original back on it. So it really depends on the bass which bridge will sound better.