Changing the grounding scheme on a P-Bass...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TumblinDice, Mar 6, 2010.

1. TumblinDice

TumblinDice

Mar 6, 2010
    Hi there, first post here. Some infos about me, I'm primarily a guitarist, though I do dabble with bass on occasion. My current bass is a violin bass clone ala Macca that I picked up for a song at the store that I teach guitar at. It was cheap, but I'm a tone freak, so I wouldn't play it if it didn't sound good.

Anyways, I'm the resident tech nerd in my current band, since I'm usually knee deep in my own amps with upkeep and occasional mods. The bass player in my band is thinking of trying out some Rotosound Tru Bass 88's, since he's really into a dark thumpy tone. We've both read about people having hum issues with P's with the tape wounds because they have a bridge ground and nylon is not conductive.

Are there any (relatively) simple mods I can perform to eliminate the need for this bridge ground?

It's a relatively recent Mexican 50's Style Fender Precision. (In Butterscotch Blonde with a Gold Pickguard for those who were wondering. ;) )

Also, if my fear of excess noise is unfounded, and the strings will still ground...please let me know.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Cheers,

Travis

2. They will ground just fine, through the ball-ends at the bridge. No worries.

3. TumblinDice

TumblinDice

Mar 6, 2010
    Wicked man thanks. They'll also ground to the hand touching the strings right, because this could also cause the noise to become a factor?

Sorry if these are noob questions, I'm a little more used to guitar technology.

Travis

4. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

Well, the strings are nylon covered, so there will not be any grounding through the hands. It should make no difference since the bridge is grounded.

5. TumblinDice

TumblinDice

Mar 6, 2010
    Alright cool, thanks very much guys.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021