Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing the (On-Board) Pre-Amp on my Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by j-raj, Apr 17, 2003.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I'm planning on changing-out my Bartolini pre-amp for a different one. I'm still going to keep the Bartolini SoapBars that are in the bass right now. The Knobs are currently config'd: Volume, p/up Blend, Mid-range, (Stacked) Treble (top) and Bass (on Bottom).

*Do I usually get New Pots with the purchase of a New Pre Amp?

*Or, can I usually config the pre-amp to the current knob set-up?... And just buy the pre-amp.

++I currently have 18v in the bass at the moment, the previous owner modified it... I don't like the job that he did, but the Bass is great otherwise.++

Unfortunately the only Pre-amp's that I have tried, have been in other basses. I've Tried Aguilars in a couple Sadowsky 4 stringers, Demeter in some custom-job bass and Bartolini (18v.) as the current set up, with my Warrior Soldier 5.

I really liked the Aguilar (I think that it was a OB-1 or 3), I'm not electronic-savvy enough to distinguish if that pre-amp is do'able in my bass... with least amount of mess, with the current knob set-up.

Any thought's or Suggestions? Has anybody changed their own Pre-amp? Let me know.

2. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i installed an obp3 with the same config you said (plus a mini switch for mid-range freq) into my mtd kingston heir 5.

check the aguilar website, (or do a google search) the obp3 has a bunch of different knob config options.

if you're having a good tech do the install, i'm sure whatever preamp you go with, you'll have some good choices (same knob config, or drill new holes, etc)

oh, and the aguilar preamp does not come with knobs, except a cheap plastic stacked knob for the bass/treable (if you go with that knob config)

my bartolini preamp came with ugly cheap plastic knobs.

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Cool, thank you for that... The scheamataics (I know I totally butchered that word, but it looked cool enough to keep) on the Aguilar website make it seem that any knob config will work with their OBp-3.

j