Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing the paradigm?¿?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 7Stringer, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Check this out:
    http://www.bose.com/bassplayer

I wonder how this thing would work in a real band environment, like rehearsals? Anybody had the opportunity to try it yet?

2. I tried one at my local CG. It sounded good at low-medium volumes and had some nice "pre-set" EQ functions on the inputs but at louder volumes the sound quality really started to suffer. I could see how one of these per band member in quiet-med volume settings would work as well (if not better) then a small PA but at $2200 a pop per band member that's pretty spendy to be outfitting an entire band!

One thing that was strange (and rather impressive) was that the apperent volume didn't change even from across the store. It was weird! I mean it was the same volume in front of the thing as it was 30 feet away. Still, at higher volumes it really started to sound bad IMO. Oh well.

Summation:

If you've got the dough it would be great for acoustic/low volume electric situations. With one per band member you could do medium rooms (maybe 150 capacity?), coffee houses, etc... and being very portable it might be a great sollution for the "singer/songwriter" with enough money. I don't think it'd keep up with even a moderately loud drummer though so I don't see it replacing decent PA systems any time soon. All in all... not too impressed. YMMV