Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing the Peavey Cirrus Pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Alla, May 28, 2003.

1. Alla

Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Italy
    What do you think about changing my Peavey Cirrus 6 string pickup with a pair of EMG DC 45 pickup?
    My doubts are about the dimensions of the pickups (are they similar?) and about the screw position (very different)
    Thanks

2. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think that this probably "CAN" work, but I don't know if it will be pretty. The dimensions seem to be a little different and the I know for a fact that the screw positions are different, so if you have a qualified Luthier help you, it can work, but I don't think it will be pretty. What type of finish you have on the bass will matter too.

3. Alla

Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Italy
    Ah :(
    Ok thanks

4. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Alla:

What about the electronics of the Cirrus don't you like. I love the tone, personally, but the thing that I find kinda hard is the fact that the beautiful tone of the bass is so clear and wonderful while playing solo, but while playing with a band, it is often hard to find just the right settings to make the sound of the cirrus cut through. But I think it still sounds great. If you do by chance find a solution, i would be interested ing hearing it as well.

5. Alla

Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Italy
    I like very much the tone of my Cirrus in the E string to G string range and also the B string but not so much. I don't like the C string. It's too nasal.
    I have to admit that I haven't changed the strings till I bought it. It still has the strings of the shop.
    Perhaps this is the real cause.
    If I find a solution I will tell you.

P.S: I've emailed to EMG to ask if it's possible to put a pair of EMG DC 45 on my Cirrus but the dimension of the two pickups are different: 11.4 x 3.5 cm for the Cirrus, 11.42cm by 3.81cm for the EMG. Not so much. There is a lot of empty space around the Cirrus Pickups. What do you say?

6. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Alla,

Did you ever find a solution for your bass?

7. Alla

Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Italy
    not yet ...

8. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
  9. Alla

Alla

Sep 25, 2000