Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing the pickguard on a P Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Disco_Dave, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Disco_Dave

Disco_Dave

Feb 22, 2002
    London
    Is this easy to do? I recently tried out a second hand p bass which I really liked but i'd like to change the pickguard colour when i buy it....is this a simple operation? How do the knobs come off?

2. do a search

3. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    Yes...Disco...it's a fairly easy task .

All that is involved is :

- removing the p/g screws.....
    - removing the 2 knobs and input jack bolt.

The 2 knobs should have a small 'set' screw , look on the side of the knob.A very small flat head screw driver should work. Loosen it a bit...then the knob should pull off easily.Once the knobs are off.....unscrew the 'flat bolts' ( 3 ) that are holding on the pg.

Very Simple......don't lose any parts !! :)

If you have any further Q's....feel free to PM me.

Good Luck !!!
    PJR

4. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i had a squier p-bass and i don't think the knobs had set screws in them... if your knobs don't have screws holding them on, just pull them off. Keep in mind that you'll also need a wrench to unscrew the potentiometers from the pickguard.

5. Disco_Dave

Disco_Dave

Feb 22, 2002
    London
    Thanks people. I think i may just invest in it on monday....my bank account has been in credit for too long now...the bank will think i'm a criminal.