Changing the sound of my Ibanez SR900

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by worldhater, Jan 24, 2009.

1. worldhater

worldhater

Feb 2, 2005
    Hi there. I've been playing on an Ibanez SR900 which I love in shape, design and feel, but I'm not convinced with it's sound, it's too trebly and I'm looking for a deep voice tone, with good mids and definition, tone that I actually found on an ESP LTD F-255, with EMG 40HZ/B64 eq, GHS strings, agathis body and a 5 piece maple/walnut thru body neck with rosewood fingerboard. My SR900 bass is now equiped with Rotosound SB66 nickel strings, Bartolini MK1 pickups and EQ, flamed maple body with 5 piece maple/bubinga thru body neck and rosewood fingerboard.
    My question is, which pickups should I install on it to get that deep voice, good mids and treble sound I'm looking for?? I'm considering EMG's but what about Bartolini's MK4 USA made ones? Any advice? Don't worry for the fitting issue, I'll find a technician to take care of that. Thanks in advance.

I leave you a link to You Tube with a few example of the sound I'm after.

2. I've heard of other people having this problem with the same bass, and I personally think it's due to the MK1's combined with an all maple body. The USA Barts are supposed to be much deeper sounding (they have either a 'deep' or 'classic' version to choose from) so I think they'd be a good option.

I think your 4 string also has standard 19mm string spacing, so that gives you alot of options too (Nordstrand, EMG, Aero, etc).

3. worldhater

worldhater

Feb 2, 2005
    Thanks for the info, I actually don't know a thing about Nordstrand or Aero, I'll check them out.

4. I have a 905, and I fixed the problem when I got my eden WT550 head, the EQ on that thing can take care of any tonal flaws I throw at it.

5. I have had modded my SR505 (same electronics as sr905), I sweeped everything to EMG, The result was pretty aggressive, but i was happy, the only drawback is that you cannot achieve non-growly sound, the neck pickup EMG40CS sounds much more growly than my Stingrays bridge Humbucker alone, -- whatever i EQ both basses.

ps: you'll need to route pickup cavities to install EMG.
    pps: were i you i would go with Barts all passive, just because i've tried EMG already :)

6. worldhater

worldhater

Feb 2, 2005
    Thanks for posting. I'll think bout it thru this year, cos' mybe I just get an SR3000 used, cos' actually Ibanez prices are quite fair here and to import those mk4cbc pickups will cost me a bunch I think.

7. I really loved that model when it was new, I never owned one but I still wish I did. Definitely get some pics up if you buy it!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021