Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

changing the tailpiece length on my hollowbody affect scalelength/intonation?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dryheatbob, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Hey all-

I just picked up a Gibson ES175 knockoff with what's got to be the worst chunk of metal ever to masquerade as a tailpiece. I want to go with something that's nicer looking and sturdier, but the stock one is shorter than most replacement pieces- 4" vs 5.5".

The saddles are mounted separately on the guitar from the tailpiece, so their position won't change, so in my mind, changing the tailpiece to a longer one won't affect scalelength or intonation. Am I missing something and this is a bad idea, or will this work OK?

ps- I know, I know... it's a g****r, but I figure bassists are faaaaaar smarter than g****rists.:smug:

Thanks

Bob

2. Well, since you DID complete the required sucking up, I guess we can talk about a g****r for a little bit :D

No prob with the longer trapeze tailpiece. You are thinking right realizing that what ever is happening after the saddles won't affect the scale. Go for it.

Just an aside...If you want to see some incredible interpretations of the flying trapeze tailpiece, do a search for Jeff Henthorne guitars. His imagination just about takes the cake.

3. Thanks, Hambone.

For the record, I don't let "it" near with my "children" without close supervision. ;)

I'm going to take a look at that website. My first thought was to go with something tradional looking(ie Gibsonish), but then I saw some cool harp shaped ones on the 'bay, and figured if it works, why not get something off the beaten path?

Bob