Changing the voltage on a B2-48

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gunnar Þór, Oct 15, 2003.

1. I just got a used Ampeg B2-48 combo from the states and I was wondering if any of you guys knew if it's possible to change the voltage of the amp from 110 to 220 volts. Inside it it's marked 110/220 volts if that helps.

2. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    I think it should be...most are set up for 120/240 and some have a 230V tap.. There may be a combo that will give 220 if you need exactly that.

What color wires do you have on the transformer? I mean the ones going to the mains area, the others are not an issue.
  3. The B2/B2R/SVT350H amp can be wired for 120/100/230/240 volts.

For 230V operation you need to have the wires as follows.

BLU/WHT on J7
    BLACK on J14
    BLUE on J12
    WHITE on J10
    BROWN on J11
    GREY on J13
    PURPLE on J6

Hope that helps

4. Thanks. Just one question, those J*'s, do they refer to the schematics? I don't have those, I bought it used and Ampeg doesn't list the schematics online.
  5. Nevermind, I figured that one out. But I was talking to my dad last night and he said that in addition to switching the wires around I had to get a new fuse. Was he right?
  6. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003 fuse value of about 1/2 amperage value of old one.

European fuses are a little different than US. it should preferably be the ceramic tube (white) and not the glass type, if you have the choice.

If that unit has an external fuseholder, you may need a new cap for it to hold the 5 x 20 type fuse.

If it is internal the holder will take either one.
  7. Okay, thanks. It's got an internal holder so that probably won't be a problem. On my fuse it says 15 A - 250 V, 10 A - 250 V, 6.3 A - 250 V. Should I then get a fuse that has roughly half of those values, 7.5 A - 250 V etc?

I just sent this to OneWayPunk in a PM, but just in case:

I checked out the wirings on my amp and they're a little different from the ones posted above. First, there's no J14. Second, there's no Blue/White wire. The way mine is wired is like this:

BLACK on J7
    BLUE on J13
    WHITE on J5
    BROWN on J8
    GREY on J12
    PURPLE on J6

In addition to those there are two black wires into J9 and the one on the left of J9, it has no designation. Those go into Power ON/OFF. Then there are two red wires and a green wire that run from the condenser (I think, big round thing wound with copper) into a circut I can't get to without unscrewing alot of screws.

Here's a bad schematic of how a part of it is, my camera's broken. Directly above this is the condenser and to the left are two circut boards, one upside down.
      J12 J13     J10 J11  |
       X J9 J8 J7 J6 J5    |
    _____                  |
    FUSE|                  |
        |------------      |
        |   Plug     |     |
  8. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    One-way punk has it correct.

The fuse shows as a T4A 4 ampere time delay fuse for the 230/240 units.

I think your fuseholder is "external" in that the fuse cap is external but the body of the holder is on a PC board inside.

You probably will need a different fuse cap for an IEC type 5 x 20 fuse.

The Ampeg part number is 23-346-12 for that fuse cap. The holder stays the same. If you can find a dealer they can probably get one for you if you can't find it elsewhere.

Are there Ampeg dealers in Iceland?
  9. There is one, yes. I'll call them on Monday if I can't find a fuse here.
  10. Yes! All right!

I wired it for 240 volts and it works beautifully, I'll find a fuse tomorrow and then I'll be home free. This save me just over a hundred dollars. *Quagmire ON* All right! *Quagmire OFF*

I haven't played with it much, just plugged it in to see if it worked and messed around with the EQ a bit, I'm already in love. In just ten minutes I could get Zeppelin, Dave Matthews and Jeff Buckley, I love this thing. :)

Thanks a lot guys. :)