Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing time sig mid song!?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Komakino, Jun 26, 2001.

1. I'm not the most musical person in the world, I've only just started with the bass a few months ago, but I was listening to Golden Brown by the Stranglers and counting along to the beats when I noticed that every so often it seems to change time signature from 3/4 to 4/4 just for one bar and then back to 3/4....am I going mad, am I wrong, or has anyone else noticed?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    They probably got it from the Beatles. Check "We can work it out"

3. Also DMB goes from 4/4 to 9/8 for the chorus

4. What's DMB?

5. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    DMB is Dave Matthews Band, but i would like to know what song that is??

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the instrumental in my sig has a section where we alternate between 7/8 and 9/8 every other measure, also 3/4 and 5/4. there's a section in the beginning that is 7/4 and then 7/8, alternating, then again, the ending is in 13/8, right before my last bass solo.

and with that, it's off to miscellaneous[bg] with this. :D

7. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    "Internal Primates Forever" by Mudvayne has 5/4 and 4/4 alternating every other measure during the verse I believe. And "Schism" by Tool switches between 6/4 and 4/4 a couple times. I kinda used these songs to practice conducting for being drum major. Pretty cool, weird to get the feel of, but awesome altogether. :D

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I dig it. My band has a song that switches from 4/4 to 3/4 for the coda. I think it works well in the song, but was sort of tricky for us to get tight on. Sounds good now though. I don't really now what my point is, but then again, I rarely do.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Another famous one is "Money" by Pink Floyd, where the riff is in 5/4, but it goes to 4/4 for the guitar solo.

Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" changes time sig virtually every bar towards the climax! :eek:

10. Fool To Think is the song where DMB goes from 4/4 to 9/8

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Bruuuuuccccceee. shame, shame shame.

"Money" starts in 7, not 5. :)

12. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Is it possible to record songs that have timing changes while using a metronome? Do you have to preprogram it to change at the same times or what? Has anyone ever done that?

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    we record all our stuff to a sequenced metronome - the click for the whole song is mapped out, measure by measure.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Dohh! Typos are more irritating when you get things like this wrong - but it is one of the more famous time changes anyway! It happens a lot on "Time Out" by Dave Brubeck - which is what I was thinking of when I typed that, but thought I'd put a more "contemporary" example! ;)

15. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    I did this a lot myself before THEY kicked me out of the band for no reason at all. :D

jc

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Typo", my a$$! ;)
    Good call, though, about Brubeck's Time Out album. ;)

Odd times are still one of my bug-a-boos(I've been programmed thru years of R&B/dance stuff in 4). Anyway, what I don't like-
    Odd meters that are blatantly measures of 4 with an added 1/4 note(= 5/4); or a 2-bar figure with an omitted 1/4 note(=7/4), etc.
    Too, for the most part, I'm not into the entire band hammerin' away in an odd time; I don't know, it's me(I guess)...I'm not too thrilled(unless it 'grooves'). ;)
    Give me the polyrhythmic stuff! ;)
    (Though I do like things that may have a bar of 3 thrown in somewhere amongst the 4s & stuff like The Beatles' "We Can Work It Out" or BS&T's "God Bless The Child" with sections of 4/4 vs. 6/8).

17. Alice in Chain's "Them Bones" goes from 7/8 in th verse to 4/4 in the chorus and part of the guitar solo. It's not that uncommon to change time sig mid song.